is this too weird?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyhoppytaff

Reaction score
looking at the priming with honey thread i had a thought.

adding a jar of jam to a kit? a standard fruit jam or a really bitter marmalade maybe.

anyone have an opinion on this? anyone tried this :shock:

I'm just taking a guess, I honestly haven't got a clue.

The sugar obviously is fine. I'm not sure if anything happens to the pectin when the jam sets.

evanvine said:
If it does go hazey, there is always "Pectolas".

Indeed.

Last summer I split 20l of Wheat Beer half and half, and did a 4-week steep and secondary fermentation over 3 pounds of mashed-up strawberries with one half. A few days before bottling, I added a teaspoon of pectic enzyme to nom the pesky pectin. The day before bottling I siphoned off into another FV, added another 50g of sugar, a teensy bit of ale yeast and stirred.

I still have two bottles of this concoction left in the fridge upstairs and I am loath to drink them until a VERY special occasion comes along. It's utterly wonderful.

hey luckyeddie, that sounds delicious.

i bottled and put a brew on last night. a friend came to watch (and learn) and i told him my jam idea. then it hit me. blackcurrent or blackberry jelly. no bits, i can deal with a bit of a hazy beer. it is worth an experiment.

i will do it soon

ill post here what its like

would the gelatine in the jam also help clear the beer? who knows! i would do the raspberry wheat beer kit again but its a bit pricey at 23 quid, i could try with a coopers lager and some fruit or jelly

Back