Isleworth vineyard update 11

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just finished spreading 25 kilos of poultry manure pellets on the beds and boy, does it smell!
Pleasantly surprised by the large number of ladybirds on the beds. Never seen so many. Always welcome as pest predators, but also suggest that life is returning to the soil, new varieties of weeds are appearing in the grass and the crows are finding interesting things to eat.
All but the cabernet sauvignon (a late variety) vines are now in bud.
I am repairing the wind break and found some of it has vanished without trace.
I found a wind blown plastic compost bin in the street and have placed it against a sagging fence post and started filling it from the much depleted compost heap which has rotted down over the mild Winter.
I scattered the ashes of the burnt dead vines and prunings to add potash to the beds, but there was only enough for 3 of the 12 rows. I can't find any sulphate of potash in local garden centres, so I will have to go foraging for wood and have another incineration session.

Well done

When are we going to get a photo of this Vineyard :hmm:

(though i think I have identified it on Google earth) :whistle: :whistle:

Despite a generally negative assessment of the impact of global warming, one positive result is the first Sottish wine!
Meanwhile, here in the deep south, the first leaves are forming on some vines, way ahead of schedule, by any standard.

The flower clusters are developing 6 weeks ahead of last year and there are about 50% more, with a potential yield of at least 100 bottles.
I've just completed a new row of 8 vines, bringing the total to 85 vines in all. Most of the original 2 large compost heaps have been recycled into the new row. However, removing the turf to create it has produced another large heap, plus another of grass cuttings, not to mention 2 full bins and a pile of persistent weeds which need to be dried and burned, along with the pile of woody prunings from last year. Managing all this waste and mowing the grass seems to take up more time and effort than managing the vines!

After 6 mm of rain yesterday, I decided it was time to spray against powdery mildew. Alas it was too late for the pinot noirs, which have already been infected.

No problem. The vines have shrugged off the mildew, helped by the massive application of magnesium last year which improves their resistance to disease.

Latest posts

Back