iSpindel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They offer a reasonable degree of accuracy, better at looking at the trend of falling FG and temp fluctuations.
Brewfarther works after a simple copy and paste.

Thanks for your message
I have not been able to make it communicate with Brew Father. Must try it again

I use Brewspy and it works well for me. Agree with @LeeH I wouldn't rely on the device for final readings of gravity but if calibrated and starts off matching your OG trend will be accurate, when gravity / angle stops changing you know it's over. Very good for temperature reading.
They are all sensitive to very small affectors such as krausen on the cap, pressure fermenting and really warm ferments if calibrated cool but doing kveik for example. Interestingly it worked brilliantly in a wine I did as no pressure no krausen and went in reading same as hydrometer and final reading 0.993 same as FG.
So they can work well. Brewspy can send various alerts for temp, gravity.
BrewPi remix can interface with Ispindel as well see forum on US site for ALL of the info.

OK great! I've used it with BrewSpy and the data matched fine! Is it possible to have Brew Spy making graphics out of your Temp and Grav Data?

Definitely is, it starts to do this once it has a couple of readings.
Screenshot_20210524-100939.png

Try pressing the second from left icon at the top that looks like a grid. When I press it with the graph up all I get is data no pictures.
Dodgy battery on my Ispindel here hence readings stopped. But ferment was finished.

I have several of these now which I purchased from Gingerneil on here at a great price.
I use Brew Spy as well, which works well for me and is clear to understand.
I also don’t rely on them for exact gravity readings, but it’s great for a overview to identify when the gravity stops falling and fermentation is complete. The temperature reporting is good and is very useful for maintaining a stable brew fermentation and cold crash.
I pressure ferment so there will always be activities within the fermenter which will throw the gravity readings off by several points.

Thought I'd piggy back off this thread rather than start a whole new iSpindel thread.

Just got a second iSpindel. The first I calibrated to, pretty much, bob on 25 degrees in fresh water. With this second it seems to be a bit further out and with alot of faffing about the closest I can get it is 22.5/23 degrees. I know the tolerance is +/- 5 degrees, so within that but just wondering if not getting it dialled in closer will have any detrimental effects? e.g. limiting the range at either the high or low gravity end of the scales? The OCD part of me is also bothered that I've not been able to get it closer to 25 degrees!!

@hoppyscotty
Not sure what board is in your spindel, but regarding your ocd it's all about moments isn't it which makes it tricky. Moving the sled up if possible adds more mass at the top which often counters the extra mass you put in at the bottom. Basically a lot of fiddling is needed, I do recalibrate the lying flat each time i replace or move the sled before checking the angle in ideally distilled 20 c water.
But it shouldn't actually make that much difference to your range. More important to calibrate / get data at your extremes. If you aren't going to do an 1100 beer there's no need to calibrate to that.
I do note the angle in distilled water at the time I calibrate because if / when the sled does move if you get that angle the same your formula is bang on and you won't need to recalibrate. I found this out when I sank a spindel had to dry it out after taking it out of the petling and replace it all. Amazing it worked at all but the reading was bang on for gravity when I reset the water angle to it's previous one.

Thanks. I'm not sure which board it is either as it is a ready built one off eBay. The first one I got I got bob on by taping a small nut to the bottom of the petling and all has been well since. I tried the same method for this second one but there is not enough space in the bottom of the peeling to get a large and heavy enough nut in the bottom. I'm not really keen to start de-soldering things so, I've just attached a couple of nuts to the very bottom of the circuit board and I've got what I've got. I guess my concerns around accuracy around the range is that because the weight is acting vertically the change in angle for every point of gravity as the ispindel moves towards the vertical gets smaller and smaller. I guess if there is a +/- 5 degree tolerance then this should be fine and I'm worrying about nothing. I'll have to live with my OCD!

The last one I did a 10 point calibration from 1.080 so I'll do the same here. Have done a couple of beer in the 1.070's before.

Blu tack is quite useful you can stick it spaces at the bottom of the petlind on the nut etc. Don't have the nuts loose. Can send picture of ispindel if you want.

That's a good idea. I might just get away with stuffing the void with blu tack with no nut. The nut isn't loose, it is taped down with very strong tape, so not going anywhere. Obviously attaching a nut right at the bottom of the petling is more effective than attaching to the bottom of the circuit board a bit higher up. But I'll try the blu tack, compare how heavy it is to the small nuts I'm using.

I have two and on both I've had to put a bit of blue tack at the top near the lid to get within a degree of 25. I don't think it matters all that much as long as you calibrate with the sugar solutions. My latest one ranged from 71.1 degrees at 1.0880 to 23.8 at 1.0000 so a couple of degrees is not going to matter too much as long as you peg the upper and lower SG readings.

I would stay with Regfixit opinion just above! If you proceed with individual calibration for each iSpindel it does not really matter the small angle differences as each of them will use the individual equation to give thr gravity

I have several of these now which I purchased from Gingerneil on here at a great price.
I use Brew Spy as well, which works well for me and is clear to understand.
I also don’t rely on them for exact gravity readings, but it’s great for a overview to identify when the gravity stops falling and fermentation is complete. The temperature reporting is good and is very useful for maintaining a stable brew fermentation and cold crash.
I pressure ferment so there will always be activities within the fermenter which will throw the gravity readings off by several points.
I didn't realise that @gingerneil was a forum member, I ordered an ispindel from him off eBay a couple of days ago

I was stunned I could make one, then make it work and the extra fun it brought to the brew. Just tossing up to build a brewpiless or Brewpi remix for further control and integration with the ispindel. My main thing I really want is a better container that doesn't need to be unscrewed as there are ways to charge and control without opening. I'm sure this would improve consistency from not reopening and without a deforming lid under pressure wouldn't change with pressure ferment and reduce infection risk.
https://www.diyhomebrewers.com/2021/01/mejoras-ispindel-carga-inalambrica.htmlQuite a useful site the above one and plenty of tips you do need google translate as in spanish.

Latest posts

Back