Italian style beer kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Assuming we return to some kind normal life I would like to make a Italian style beer from a kit to go with the home made pizzas I make for friends and family.
I can't seem to find any suitable kits , the family find the sort of Belgian ales I've been making too strong for them.

Any ideas ?

Mark

Im not up on italian beer but Im assuming you want to make something like peroni? If it was me I'd use the Coopers European Lager kit. I think it comes with Lager yeast ( forumite @terrym will be able to tell you that as he knows these things) If not I'd use CML/MJ Californian Common yeast as its a lager yeast than can be brewed at ale temps. Id then dry hop and perhaps add a hop tea of saaz as peroni uses saaz hops. Forumite Manxnorton made an AG peroni clone so you can have a look at what the hopping looks like peroni help please
Id also throw in a bit of table sugar with the DME (maybe 200g) to dry things out a bit and make it a bit more lager like

Im not up on italian beer but Im assuming you want to make something like peroni? If it was me I'd use the Coopers European Lager kit. I think it comes with Lager yeast ( forumite @terrym will be able to tell you that as he knows these things) If not I'd use CML/MJ Californian Common yeast as its a lager yeast than can be brewed at ale temps. Id then dry hop and perhaps add a hop tea of saaz as peroni uses saaz hops. Forumite Manxnorton made an AG peroni clone so you can have a look at what the hopping looks like peroni help please
Id also throw in a bit of table sugar with the DME (maybe 200g) to dry things out a bit and make it a bit more lager like
The Coopers Euro lager does come with 7g lager yeast (as does the 86 Day Pilsner). If you want to brew it at low temperature you are probably best advised to double up on yeast quantities, although you might get away with it as some on here have. I am not usually a Peroni drinker but from memory it is quite a light beer, so a Coopers Canadian Blonde might be an alternative choice, which is brewed at ale rather than lager temperatures, unless you sub a lager yeast

The Coopers Euro lager does come with 7g lager yeast (as does the 86 Day Pilsner). If you want to brew it at low temperature you are probably best advised to double up on yeast quantities, although you might get away with it as some on here have. I am not usually a Peroni drinker but from memory it is quite a light beer, so a Coopers Canadian Blonde might be an alternative choice, which is brewed at ale rather than lager temperatures, unless you sub a lager yeast

Even at ale temps 7g doesnt seem like much yeast (Is coopers yeast particularly potent? I've only ever brewed 2 coopers kits). Im used to 10g/11g packs. So if I was the OP Id defiantly be tempted to buy more yeast

Even at ale temps 7g doesnt seem like much yeast (Is coopers yeast particularly potent? I've only ever brewed 2 coopers kits). Im used to 10g/11g packs. So if I was the OP Id defiantly be tempted to buy more yeast
Coopers kits are not supplied with a one size fits all yeast.
See here
https://community.diybeer.com/topic...s-with-the-tin/?do=findComment&comment=120392I brewed many of their kits with the supplied yeast and never had a problem except with the 'B' yeast which was a bit slow to get going, and struggled with the 7g lager yeast at low temperature. I did read somewhere that the B yeast is supposed to be Danstar BRY-97.

Coopers kits are not supplied with a one size fits all yeast.
See here
https://community.diybeer.com/topic...s-with-the-tin/?do=findComment&comment=120392I brewed many of their kits with the supplied yeast and never had a problem except with the 'B' yeast which was a bit slow to get going, and struggled with the 7g lager yeast at low temperature. I did read somewhere that the B yeast is supposed to be Danstar BRY-97.

I've also read that BRY-97 can be slow, but the one time I tried it, it was fine

Back