John Bull Cider with Weston's OR Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeithR

Landlord.
Reaction score
Started an under brewed (20L) batch of JB's cider on the 20th, its going great guns just now.

Interesting thing about this batch, I decided to try a 2nd generation batch of Weston's Old Rosie which was last recovered from a previous batch of JB's cider on the 3rd of August 2013, the yeast was kept in in the fridge in an airtight plastic 200mL screw top bottle, the yeast had not been rinsed or in any way messed about with, it sat for the 6.5 months in the fridge under a blanket of cider. I added 5tsps of Maloacid in the expectation of MLF in the future.

As is my practice I made this into a starter to ensure that it was still viable, it smelt and tasted absolutely right so went ahead.

It was slow to start but was bubbling right from the start albeit once every 2 mins or so, its now picked up to 4 times a min.

The OG was 1042.

I plan to flavor this batch with 880mL of Lowitz Raspberry syrup towards the end of its fermentation and then let it ferment on for a while.

Can't think of anything else to tell you att.

Don't know a great deal about cider yeast compared to beer yeast. You normally can't go wrong with the smell test.

Hi Dennis,
Its still thrutching away bubbling once every 6 seconds, I tasted it yesterday when I took an SG reading and it tastes just fine.

Latest posts

Back