Joined the CBA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recently sent off to join the CBA www.craftbrewing.org.uk today I recieved my welcome letter and 5 back issues of Brewers Contact, i'm impressed with the content of the issues, and recognise a few names from people who are regularly submitting articles.

IMO it's worth the annual subscription.

I assume we have quite a few other CBA members?

Looking forward to some additional reading, will take a copy each day to work to read (during lunch you understand ;))

Good man Wez - BC is worth the admission price imo. I've been a member for a couple of years and always look forward to it popping through the door.

However, the recent copper/no copper holy war has become a bit of a farce! :roll:

I thought it was Council for British Archaeology, but thats only cos I have had dealings with them.

AND ABOUT BL**DY TIME!!!

Yeah Apologies for the Copper stuff . . . I wanted to hold off on it until I had all the facts . . . but sometimes the first I see of articles is when the first mock up is produced. . . . at which point its a bit too late to say . . . . you can't print that . . .

I think the CBA is a worthwhile thing to join, and may very well help get some 'local' groups established . . . I'm seriously thinking of setting up a fylde brewers group . . . not that the Northern Craft Brewers has anything wrong with it . . . but it does tend to be east Pennines/ Manchester biased.

I was looking into joining but looking at the pics from the Copper Dragon Meet,

Pic's of the northern craft brewers meet

And was a bit put off by the amount of grey hair and beards!! (I think I would feel out of place at a meet, being a young gun :oops: )

Ditto Alemans comments .......about time
not that the Northern Craft Brewers has anything wrong with it . . . but it does tend to be east Pennines/ Manchester biased.
Agreed, I suppose there will always be these sorts of things with a spread database though, it can't be helped.

dandan said:

And was a bit put off by the amount of grey hair and beards!! (I think I would feel out of place at a meet, being a young gun :oops: )
There is only one way to change that though . . . join and attend meetings . . . encourage others to do the same and hopefully we can change the groups demographics somewhat . . . Not all of them are over retirement age ;)

Glad to hear you're looking forward to readng the Brewers Contact Wez and thanks for highlighting this forum.
Was a lurking memeber for some time and recommended to several but had to rejoin today as forgot login details.

As has been said here we're not all over retirement age and I can't think of any memebr of the Midlands group with a beard!
Join up and join in, it's great to talk face to face too as well as on this site about beer and beer and anything else too!

Greg
CBA Membership Secretary
(no beard or grey hair - well maybe a few)

Just recieved my information pack from the CBA, very impressed. Will send my application form off tomorrow. Out of the 2 sample issues, two articals stand out.
September 2008, Aleman - the brewer behind the legend. :clap: .
And the June 2008, issue the cure of cloudy beer. :wha:

So here is my question - WHY DO BREWERS USE COPPER?

There is only one way to change that though . . . join and attend meetings . . . encourage others to do the same and hopefully we can change the groups demographics somewhat . . . Not all of them are over retirement age
I, for one, am only half way there d :thumb:
So here is my question - WHY DO BREWERS USE COPPER?
:lol:

Aleman said:
dandan said:

There is only one way to change that though . . . join and attend meetings . . . encourage others to do the same and hopefully we can change the groups demographics somewhat . . . Not all of them are over retirement age ;)

I have to echo that completely. Get yourself along to a meeting and see what it is all about. Even better if you have a couple of ideas on how to take the hobby forward.

I see that the NCB photo's didn't have either myself or Vossy in. Neither of us have grey hair or beards (well I did on the Sunday as I couldn't be bothered shaving all weekend). What a great weekend it was - great fun to spend a weekend with other brewers. Infact I spent a good bit of time talking about the merits of Brewers Contact with Greg Craftbrewer - not sure we actually came to any useful conclusions but it was entertaining all the same.

One more thing to keep in mind - I have learnt a lot about brewing from blokes with grey hair and beards. I wouldn't use that as a criteria for not getting involved. :)

I went along to the NCBA meeting on Saturday - Vossy1 tells me it was not representative of normal meetings but it was quite uninspiring. It reminded me of "Uncle Albert" when one of them started a sentence with "during the war" - and they were in it :lol:

eskimobob said:
I went along to the NCBA meeting on Saturday - Vossy1 tells me it was not representative of normal meetings but it was quite uninspiring. It reminded me of "Uncle Albert" when one of them started a sentence with "during the war" - and they were in it :lol:

:rofl:

Apart from the few people on here I've met (none with beards) and a couple of others, I've never met anyone from the CBA. I was going to go to the meeting on Sat but ended up stranded in a field of mud.

And for the record, I'm over half way off retirement age and I don't have a beard. Although I could glue my hair to my chin if it would keep people happy ;)

As for the age thing, my own thoughts are that I've learnt a lot more from older people with experience than I have off younguns.

I've emailed the CBA for a info pack tonight and also join Camra (young guns get a discounted rate with camra if your lucky enough to be under 26 :D !)

dandan said:
get a discounted rate with camra if your lucky enough to be under 26 :D !)

STONE!!!!

Fantastic - just slip in then for Wez :party: :party: :party:

Latest posts

Back