JT#2 Extract brew from the Hops in the freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regaltabs

Not happy with change
Reaction score
As the title says this was a little experimental brew to use up the hops I had left over in the freezer.

JT #2 April Flash
3kg Medium DME
1.1oz Styrian Goldings @ 60min
1.6oz Goldings @ 60min

1oz Goldings @ 10min
3gm Irish moss

Flame out drop to 80C
1oz Styrian Goldings

Yeast
Safale US-05

b04dc3ce.jpg

Due to pan size I have to do 1 3rd in the small pan and 2 3rds in the larger one

5ceadb21.jpg

Water on ready for the DME (School boy error made here I think, I added all of the 3kg and I always need to add cold water at the end to get the correct volume. So I might not get the extra hoppy brew I was after)

26d89b7d.jpg

First hop addition

154ce9b9.jpg

These scales are great for small weights and very cheap on Fleebay

a6a88181.jpg

b57500c2.jpg

Beer time while she boils
867a1c84.jpg

Late hops
6e31227c.jpg

Chilling in the bath
48c7a0a7.jpg

OG 1050
Yeast pitched and lid on ready for the magic to happen
ef8154c2.jpg

This will now get 10-14days before I bottle it

Hope you enjoyed this :D As I had a good day and can't wait until I make the full switch to the Dark Side!!!!!

Looks like you had a good day. Goldings is my favorite hop and I like styrian in a pale ale, should be a nice combination. :thumb:

cracking pics, extract brewing seems to be a bit of an unknown quantity, some people think its either kits or AG and thats it, my first ever extract brew was my heather ale and it was awesome, you showed you can do it with a couple of stockpots or if you have a brupaks or burco boiler etc. you can make really good beer using this method, it does cost a wee bit more than kits as you have to either buy dry malt extract or a tin of malt extract, some hops and a small amount of grains in some cases but its worth it. im happy enough making my kits here n there and doing a few extracts to keep the stocks up. craigtube on youtube makes some good extract brews.

Cheers for the comments.

I agree you can make good beer on a small set up and yes it may cost as much as a good kit and in some cases a little more but when you taste the beer you have made you will know where the extra money went. For me this is the start of the road to AG, nothing against kits they were a good way to get my head around the whole brewing thing. And with the help of the guys on here anyone can brew good beer at a fraction of the cost of shop bought.

:cheers:

Great brewday! :thumb:

All you need is a mesh straining bag and you have all the kit you need for AG!

puravida said:
Great brewday! :thumb:

All you need is a mesh straining bag and you have all the kit you need for AG!

Thanks

I am a false bottom hop strainer and tubes to link my pumps away from my full set up :lol: not long now just one payday away :party:

Latest posts

Back