Just stop oil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lock them up for disrupting events but not for protesting.

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We now have a woman throwing orange confetti at osborns weading but it turns out she is nothing to do with JSO, they are now discussing prison like the M25 protesters which stopped them disrupting travellers, is it time to lock these protesters up for disrupting sport events etc.

I am all for protests but I think they now need to disrupt the lives of those that make the rules not people spending their hard earned on watching the snooker, horse racing etc people are now turning against them due to the disruption they are causing.

The key point is not that they are protesting it's that they're stopping people going about their lawful business. I'm surprised they having used this as the way to stop the disruption as changing the law on protest is a one-way street.

Protest is one thing. But there is a line.

I think its interesting that they will do it here, but not the major oil producing counties, some of who would lock them up and throw the key away.

We do need to do better but JUST STOP (read as "stop now") isn't the methodology required here.

JUST STOP (read as "stop only") does not work either.. Oh that the only issue was oil. We are destroying our species and planet in soo many ways.

Anyway the Just Stop Oil lot have failed miserably and are now a joke in my opinion. Surely if they were going to disrupt anything it should be the most oil based sport that being the British Grand Prix this weekend. Did they cause any disruption, no, massive fail as far as I'm concerned. They can just jog on now 😂

It's stuns me that they appear to have not thought it through at all....And will be the first to start bleeting when their live, world, and the economy collapses. Oil is not just for engines.

Anyway the Just Stop Oil lot have failed miserably and are now a joke in my opinion
Yup couldn't agree more.. the absolutely tragedy of this is all the public money we have spent dealing with this cult of people hell bent on just causing chaos, even committing crimes whilst claiming its all in the name of climate change.

When you start to cost people time, money and even their health with your protesting, then I'd like to think you will get precious little support from the public which seems to be more evident based on what is in the media of late.

I am at the front of the queue wanting the world to do better with climate change, but there are better ways, and peaceful ways to protest - so as you say, I think this group has failed. Sad thing is once JSO has had its day (like the last one Extinction Rebellion), the "leaders" will just move on and start a new one to incite a new wave of civil disobedience.

I miss people chaining themselves to trees in the name of protest

While the problem of personal transport (the car) is a relatively easy fix, they seem to forget that every ship, train, tractor, generator, and piece of construction plant and the like in the world are powered by diesel. There is no better engine for large applications, and oil is here to stay for a very long time.

This debate hinges entirely on whether one can happy to watch the world burn and for millions, possibly billions, of people to die or be displaced. I, for one, can't imagine anyone with children and/or grandchildren being anything other than 100% behind all and any attempts to decarbonise as quickly as possible. On the other hand, there is a non-zero (but extremely close to zero) chance the vast body of scientific literature on the subject is entirely wrong or fabricated, so perhaps people are hanging their hats on that possibility. Best of luck!

Though in a way it's fine to be willing to let climate change do unimaginable harm, which falls disproportionately on populations who a.) are the least equipped to be able to adapt to it; and b.) did the least to contribute to it, as long as one is also happy to provide safe routes for millions of climate refugees to enter Europe and North America and stand a chance of long-term survival. Interestingly, however, there seems to be very little indeed in the way of venn diagram overlap between the two positions. Curious indeed.

Last edited:
This debate hinges entirely on whether

.. people will change their ways.
Jet holidays, plastic wrap, tyres, components, social/sporting events all contribute. There is a lot of sacrifice to be made, in a world where some currently moan it they can't get tomatos in February (uk) 😱

What they "think" and what they "do" are often different.

Oh dear another night of disruption with jeers and boos from the crowd they really are not doing themselves any favours as people tire of their tactics.

Two protesters from environmental campaign group Just Stop Oil have interrupted the First Night of the Proms at London's Royal Albert Hall.
The duo mounted the stage and briefly unfurled an orange banner on Friday.
They were met with boos and jeers from some members of the audience at the BBC's classical music festival, before being led away by security staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66207576

It is very clear that the human race is having a terrible impact on the ecology and environment of our plant. We are wasteful creatures that truly do act like locusts at times, consuming and destroying and we need to wise up and change.

However, I do find it quite annoying how the words "climate change" seem to be used in a way that suggests a change in the earth's climate isn't inevitable. We humans seem to have such large egos that many seem to think that a change in climate is something we can stop, it simply isn't the case.

The UK has been desert, rain forest, frozen waste lands and everything else in between, not just once either, but in a number of cycles. Granted, our actions seem to be speeding up change, but change is normal. I'm more concerned with the plants, animals and ecosystems we are destroying rather than an inevitable change in climate.

The world will do what it will in regard to changing the climate as it always has done.

The JSO band just seem to be idiots with no clear vision or understanding of the people they are trying to influence, seems more like bullying tactics to me. The use of "climate change" as a scare tactic by this bunch and many political parties to push their agendas is rather annoying and misleading.

We have to stop many things, oil is just a tiny part of it but no solution. We are wasteful, inconsiderate and short sighted creatures at times. We need to create more renewable energy yes, but also go back a few decades to a time when things were built to last. Manufacturers these days across all sectors, build products designed to fail so they can sell you more, single use items were just cardboard back in the day and you got 10p back for taking your Corona bottle back to the corner shop lol!

Sorry for such a long rant, its politics and money that fuels the decline of the planet.

We humans seem to have such large egos that many seem to think that a change in climate is something we can stop, it simply isn't the case.

The UK has been desert, rain forest, frozen waste lands and everything else in between, not just once either, but in a number of cycles. Granted, our actions seem to be speeding up change, but change is normal. I'm more concerned with the plants, animals and ecosystems we are destroying rather than an inevitable change in climate.
I think you're mistaken, Certainly the world has experienced change, the ice ages and the warm periods in between, for example, but these changes occur gradually over thousands, even millions, of years and species often have time to adapt. When change comes suddenly say from an asteroid collision or from volcanic activity, the effect is catastrophic. While humans can't stop the changes that take place over eons, we are bringing about our own sudden and catastrophic change. A change which is not inevitable and, to which, species, including humans, haven't time to adapt.
You'd be very well advised not to confuse the two. The stakes are too high.

While the problem of personal transport (the car) is a relatively easy fix, they seem to forget that every ship, train, tractor, generator, and piece of construction plant and the like in the world are powered by diesel. There is no better engine for large applications, and oil is here to stay for a very long time.
"Oil is here for a very long time" Really? I should say that burning oil will will only happen while enough of us are around to burn it. Do you really think that the atmosphere and climate will remain unchanged as we continue to run our diesel engines? We may well be using then in 100 years time in order to survive on what will have become a hostile planet.

Bottom line. We need more protesters, not fewer.

Well said Clearance.

Anyone who thinks change is somehow "normal" and that "we've had ice ages before" or "been a desert" should just take a glance at this graph, and try to extrapolate forwards (not hard) and imagine what the consequences are going to be by the end of the century. Then imagine what will happen when a nuclear power like China or USA's crops fail and they can't feed themselves or run out of water... Like California.

1689501391597.png

Latest posts

Back