Keeping chickens

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put a lot of grain around it or wedge it open for a few days till they get the idea that it is full of food.

One will become the dominant of the three, we have 6, throw a full sausage in among them will give you some amusement, they start playing chase the sausage.
Standard female’s pastime...

On the grandpa's feeder there's a couple of holes in the side to put a bolt through. One hole holds the opening fully open so they get used to eating from it, the second hole holds it part open so they see the food but also get used to about half the movement from the opener. A few days set at each setting and they get the hang of the opener with no problem.

I picked up 8 new hens last week and they've already got the hang of it by using the bolts this way. I now just leave it shut and they open it as needed.

On the grandpa's feeder there's a couple of holes in the side to put a bolt through. One hole holds the opening fully open so they get used to eating from it, the second hole holds it part open so they see the food but also get used to about half the movement from the opener. A few days set at each setting and they get the hang of the opener with no problem.

I picked up 8 new hens last week and they've already got the hang of it by using the bolts this way. I now just leave it shut and they open it as needed.

Thanks will check mine. They stand in the right place when I prop it open but won't go near it when it's closed

All my spent grains (wet) go to her mother’s hens. They’ve probably had about 50kg to date and are all alive still.
I was coming from the side of, would they only eat it dry. They seem to be enjoying it anyway. Whilst mashing in the chickens must have smelt the grains and one jumped onto the brewing today. Nèarly had mashed chicken beer

I was coming from the side of, would they only eat it dry. They seem to be enjoying it anyway. Whilst mashing in the chickens must have smelt the grains and one jumped onto the brewing today. Nèarly had mashed chicken beer
My chickens (old and new) have always loved the spent grains.

I only know about keeping CATs an (interesting combination)
However several villigers do keep em.
I have to say they make great pets.So friendly and trusting (i dont think i will be eating any of them soon)

So I have finally given in and said the wife can have some chickens. She said it would keep the kids entertained whilst they are off school. Picked up three birds today and although I have read the basics I wouldn't mind getting a book a out keeping them. Amazon brings up shed loads.
Any recommendations.
Also any tips on keeping them.
We keep ex batt chooks, they lay an egg a day once settled in and it's great to see them getting used to their freedom they are very rewarding but screw up your patio!

We keep ex batt chooks, they lay an egg a day once settled in and it's great to see them getting used to their freedom they are very rewarding but screw up your patio!
AT the moment the patio as been fine, the do tend to come up towards the house/patio first thing in the morning and at night but generally stay in the lower end of the garden.

Anybody near London want a couple of bantams, the next door neighbour has had complaints and the are looking for a home, its a father and son pair. Collection from east london.

Anyone got a recommendation for drinkers? I'm looking at plastic but perhaps galvanised is much better?

I've had both, the plastic ones tend to crack after a year or two, so I went to galvanised. The first rusted after a year so I exchanged it for another, thinking I'd got a bad one, and the next one did the same thing, then I tried a different design, one of the buckets on it's side type and that also rusted out but even faster so I'm back to plastic again. I've got one of these now Signature Eton Trent Drinker - 6 LT - Clear, Unisex:Amazon.co.uk:Sports & Outdoors which seems a bit more solid than the other plastic ones I've got. Hope that helps

I've had both, the plastic ones tend to crack after a year or two, so I went to galvanised. The first rusted after a year so I exchanged it for another, thinking I'd got a bad one, and the next one did the same thing, then I tried a different design, one of the buckets on it's side type and that also rusted out but even faster so I'm back to plastic again. I've got one of these now Signature Eton Trent Drinker - 6 LT - Clear, Unisex:Amazon.co.uk:Sports & Outdoors which seems a bit more solid than the other plastic ones I've got. Hope that helps
Great, thanks 👍

Anyone got a recommendation for drinkers? I'm looking at plastic but perhaps galvanised is much better?
We've always just had the standard plastic ones, never had any issues with them. We have 4, 2 large drinkers for the main coup, 1 large drinker for the smaller coup and 1 small drinker for short term "prison sentences" for antisocial birds!

I have a galv drinker and feeder. I have found they are just more reliable. Plus to dont have to dick around with filling the plastic one up upside down and then putting the lid on and flipping. Glav one just lift the lid and fill. Much easier.

Back