Keeping cultivated yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enitharmon

Reaction score
Assuming that one has successfully cultivated a yeast strain from a bottle-conditioned beer, how would one go about storing it for use in future brews?

I'm hoping to start my upcoming brew with yeast from a bottle of Fullers 1845. What beers have others found particularly successful for cultivating yeast strains?

it will keep in the fridge in small pet bottles then just add it to some dme to kick start it some brewers freeze it and have restarted it

I cultivated 2L of yeast from a vial that I bought. I've got 1.5L stored in the fridge right now. Should be good for quite some time.

I'm sure there's a thread on here from a couple of years ago where people started putting up yeast that they had successfully harvested from bottles, I've tried searching but its hard to do from my phone with a crappy connection

If you are going to keep it for a long time, try to replace the beer on top with sterile water (could use bottled) yeast will be happier in its dormancy

Thanks Dennis, I've just used the yeast from the Bengal Lancer for the first time, worked great, but only got 70% attenuation. Still tastes good, I'm having a quality control sample of it that I bottled at the weekend ;)

I tried cultivating some Bengal Lancer yeast before and it was my first and only go cultivating from a bottle. After a week or so it started to smell almost meaty, so I didn't use it for a brew and just left it in the DJ for a while. Frankly I couldn't be bothered to clean it up. When I finally did the smell coming off was completely beery, so it was obviously working, but just with an odd smell to start with. I'll have to give it another go.

sorry to hyjack your thread again enitharmon

I'm assuming that the Fuller's Bengal Lancer is the equivalent of WPL002 or Wyeast1968, but wouldn't be sure

Good Ed said:
I'm assuming that the Fuller's Bengal Lancer is the equivalent of WPL002 or Wyeast1968, but wouldn't be sure

This has been mentioned quite a bit on forums. I have also heard they are not 100% like for like. Fullers will probably not keep and treat their yeast in the same way as Whitelabs will. And we all know yeast can be very fickle.

Latest posts

Back