Replacement yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samthor.

Reaction score
I'm a first time brewer hailing from Durham. Hubby was give 2 tins of diy kit. One tin is called Coopers heffe wheat beer and the other tin is coopers wheat malt extract. Unfortunately the yeast sachet is missing so im hoping someone can advise on a replacement? I'm hoping to brew in a plastic fv with airlock and I've a heat mat

Hi, I'm from just a bit further north in Northumberland. There will be others along shortly with wheat beer brewing experience who can be specific but have a look on some of the popular home brewing sites for wheat beer yeast.

Hi, I'm from just a bit further north in Northumberland. There will be others along shortly with wheat beer brewing experience who can be specific but have a look on some of the popular home brewing sites for wheat beer yeast.
Well hello marra, nice to know the northeast is on site👍

I'm a first time brewer hailing from Durham. Hubby was give 2 tins of diy kit. One tin is called Coopers heffe wheat beer and the other tin is coopers wheat malt extract. Unfortunately the yeast sachet is missing so im hoping someone can advise on a replacement?
Since you're a first-time brewer then using dry yeast will make things a bit easier for you. Which makes it really easy, as the best dry yeast for wheat beers is easily Lallemand's Munich Classic. There may be third parties repacking it but if you use the Lallemand version then you know what you're getting.

Make sure it's the Classic though - confusingly Lallemand used to have another yeast called simply "Munich" which was completely different. It's since been rebranded as their Wit yeast but there may be some old stock kicking round retailers under the old name.

I'm a first time brewer hailing from Durham. Hubby was give 2 tins of diy kit. One tin is called Coopers heffe wheat beer and the other tin is coopers wheat malt extract. Unfortunately the yeast sachet is missing so im hoping someone can advise on a replacement? I'm hoping to brew in a plastic fv with airlock and I've a heat mat
Hello @samthor.
It's a long long time since I've used cans, but I would expect to find a sachet of yeast in the wheat beer kit, but not with the wheat malt extract. Being out of date isn't a problem in itself for dried yeast, but you really don't know what you're getting or how it's been stored. If it were me, I'd use the Munich Special as recommended above by @Northern_Brewer .
I must say though, I've no idea what Australian yeasty wheat beer is supposed to taste like, but I suppose you haven't, either.

Latest posts

Back