Keg priming with sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always do a closed transfer, and because I can't this time without risking infection, I thought it was safer to try and minimise the oxygen carried over into the keg by doing a secondary fermentation. Hope that makes sense.

I do have another option but I'm not sure I fully understand the method. @DocAnna suggested on another thread to fill the keg first with CO2 for 30 seconds and then open fill the keg. But I'm not sure if I should do the gas bit before the keg filling, or during.
Fill keg with gas and leave lid on as much as possible, the co2 should sit on top and push oxygen out

You could attach a PRV (pressure relief valve) to the gas outlet of your keg. Then you can control carbonation better.

Some people use the German word and call them "Spund Valve". You can get cheap ones here.

It depends on your process. I don't ferment until the end but transfer to keg with about 1% of extract left. Then I attach the valve and let if finish for at least 8 weeks.

Then it goes to -1 Centigrade for a week before finish.

Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back