Kegerator Gas Supply - on or off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGX

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have build myself a kegerator out of an old larder fridge with a 6kg CO2 gas supply and it is mostly working well. My first cylinder of gas was empty after less than two weeks having been on constantly since set-up to supply approx 12 psi pressure to one keg. I am assuming there was a leak in one of the JG fittings and took it on the chin as part of the learning process. Having got a gas refill, I checked all of my gas pipework using a leak detector foam and it all looked ok so reconnected my beer (two kegs this time). I also have a third ball lock disconnect waiting for a another keg. All three kegs will be supplied through a three-way JG splitter.

The question I have is whether to keep the gas on constantly at dispensing pressure (12 psi) once the keg has carbonated or whether to only turn the gas on when I want to dispense or carbonate a keg? Also, when I am carbonating a keg, do I need the gas on constantly or could I just top it up once a day over the week or so that it take to carbonate properly?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I do as you suggest and only turn on the gas when dispensing then turn off after. Leaving the gas on is only if you are very confident of no leaks or you may repeat the gas cylinder being empty at the least pleasing times. Finding leaks is not as always easing as some people suggest but it is your choice

I just got back into kegs recently after many years of bottling and I flattened a big bottle of CO2 within a week of set up. I am very cautious now about leaving the gas on but I think most people do.

Whilst I've not ever suffered total loss of a cylinder (my only one to date lasted nearly 15 months) I only leave my gas on if carbonating a keg. Don't want to tempt fate. My bottle and regulator connects to three secondary regulators each with their own shut off so I also only have gas going to any keg that needs it.

Mine stays on all the time.

If I had a leak I’d want to find it because at some point you are going to forget to turn off the gas and because there is a risk you’ll end up with flat beer.

Kegerators tend to be quite confined spaces so maybe check the gas line is free and not being forced into a position that prevents a good seal, particularly the gas disconnect at the keg. This needs to be square on the post and seated well. If you hold the gas line near the keg disconnect and give it a little wiggle you may even hear the gas escaping from the one that’s causing the trouble.

Thanks for the advice guy. I think I’ll keep the gas off when not carbonating or dispensing from now on. Hopefully this can help keep my CO2 refills to a minimum!

In my micro pub I have always left it on and only gone through about 4 bottles in about 2 years (not including being closed in lockdown) but in Feb I made a batch of home brew put into 2 cornies it was fine for a week then over night, cylinder empty and must be a leak because theres no pressure at all either.

I usually turn mine off or shut my manifold lever. I also tend to only turn it back on after dispensing a few pints as it doesn’t make much difference to pressures.

I’ve experienced keg seal leaks a couple of times but not with pipe work.

Wouldn't leaving it connected to the keg overcarb the beer? I leave mine on but not connected when I am not dispensing.

I should point out that when I put a new keg on I fast carb and disconnect. then once the keg is at the desired carbonation I put on an inline regulator.

So a nearly empty co2 cylinder this morning and my kegs standing in a pool of beer looked to me that I may have had a leak from a beer disconnect. Have just filled a new keg today and had enough co2 to purge the oxygen and get some pressure into it.

I‘ve disconnected all of the beer out lines but the kegs don’t seem to hold the pressure that I am able to put into them when I turn the gas off. Is this because the gas is being absorbed or does it suggest a leak on the ‘gas’ side as well?

I’d say a leak. you need to do some leak testing with empty kegs to see whether the gas leak is coming from first. The so sore water testing.

check the lids on the kegs as that’s a common source of leakage, also get some food safe grease/silicone spray and use liberally on balllocks and o rings.

Back