Kegging for the first time....Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldenone

Reaction score
A quick question.....This will be the first time i've used the keg method (usually bottle but dont have time with this one) and I was wondering if the ale (Milestone Dark Galleon) would be ok in the pressure barrel if I simply batch prime with brewing sugar?

Since I bought the barrel i've noticed that you can also get the CO2 injector....Will I need these as well or will priming be ok?

If its the standard plastic keg with the injector in the cap you will probably need to top up the co2 roughly when half of the beer has gone. You should notice when to do it as the flow will start to slow down.
Adding the co2 will increase the pressure on the inside so the beer can continue to come out.

How do,
As I'm going to use me keg for first time next week, the general feel I got from reading, reading & more reading around here was if you plan to keep the brew in the barrel for a while then definitely invest in a co2 injector. Reason being, you'll lose so much pressure if drawing consecutive pints off. Plus when you get to around half/quarter way down it will no doubt start glugging (which is basically air drawing in through the tap to equalise the barrel pressure by loss of co2, if that makes sense?) which in turn will just ruin whatever's left in the barrel. A bloody damn shame.

I'm getting married in august and have thought this over, I'm doing two personal brew with pressure caps and. The three or four barrels (ale&cider) with the normal Caps as they'll get hammered that day so pressure isn't an issue.

Hope this helped a little, still a total new boy on the scene.

Cheers

James

Thanks guys ;)

Due to a family bereavement my lastest brew has been sat in the fermenting bucket for just over 6 weeks so I thought i'd invest in a cheap keg from the Wilko sale to try and rescue it this weekend.....Seems like this cheap barrel isn't going to work out that cheap with a further

Sorry about your news. Had two in the space of a month last year, not a nice place to be. Family and friends are everything now.

If you do get a wilkos ket just upgrade the tap (they are pretty prone to leaking, need tightening on arrival. I purchased a wide neck tap for about two quid. PTFE tape is a must, bought a load off ebay recently, pm me your address and I'll send you a 12m roll. Really handy for threads.

Disagree about ptfe as the seal is via the rubber washer, not the thread.

Taping it might give a better seal by stopping any beer passing along the threads, but might damage the threaded hole if the tap has to be force-screwed back in because it's too tight.

I'd put efforts into keeping the tap clean, smear the threads with vaseline and make sure you don't heave it up too much as you might distort it and shear the neck off:(

Sorry about your news. Had two in the space of a month last year, not a nice place to be. Family and friends are everything now.

If you do get a wilkos ket just upgrade the tap (they are pretty prone to leaking, need tightening on arrival. I purchased a wide neck tap for about two quid. PTFE tape is a must, bought a load off ebay recently, pm me your address and I'll send you a 12m roll. Really handy for threads.

That is very generous of you although I'd feel really cheeky taking you up on this offer :)

Dont be daft its cool.
It not expensive stuff at all.
Just send me your address in a pm and I'll pop some in the post for you today. :)

Latest posts

Back