Kegging/force carbonation newbie questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colm89

Reaction score
Hi there, have decided to dip my toe into the world of kegging and force carbonation and ordered an ikegger 5L kit (due to space limitations), and wanted to ask a few questions in anticipation:

1. as I understand it, I can force carbonate it over a few days in the fridge using the co2 cartridge and regulator, but once carbonated do I leave the regulator on full time, or can I remove it until I plan to dispense?
2. should I leave the tap on permanently or can that be removed until dispensing?

In other words, what I am getting at is if I wanted a 2nd keg, would I need another mini regulator and another tap, or could I fill one keg, pump in some co2 to force carbonate, and pop it in the fridge without the regulator while I use that for dispensing from another keg?

Hi there, have decided to dip my toe into the world of kegging and force carbonation and ordered an ikegger 5L kit (due to space limitations), and wanted to ask a few questions in anticipation:

1. as I understand it, I can force carbonate it over a few days in the fridge using the co2 cartridge and regulator, but once carbonated do I leave the regulator on full time, or can I remove it until I plan to dispense?
2. should I leave the tap on permanently or can that be removed until dispensing?

In other words, what I am getting at is if I wanted a 2nd keg, would I need another mini regulator and another tap, or could I fill one keg, pump in some co2 to force carbonate, and pop it in the fridge without the regulator while I use that for dispensing from another keg?

I very recently bought a 5L job - my first keg too.

As mentioned you can remove the tap but be sure to use the pressure relief valve first to stop beer going everywhere. Regards the regulator you should be able to turn it off but whilst force carbing the needle is likely to drop due to the beer absorbing your gas as I understand it. I also found vaseline very useful in helping maintain pressure. See this thread:

Mini Keg - Not holding pressure?

Latest posts

Back