Kegland Condenser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t need air to move the steam through the system, by collapsing the vapour and converting into condensate, you will create a negative pressure within the condenser and subsequently pull more steam, there is also the added benefit of lowering the boiling point within the vessel, however the scale of this all depends on what pressure you actually achieve. If anything by allowing air to enter the system you run the chance of ‘stalling’ the system as you get a build up of non condensable gasses within the condenser, so lose the benefits that come with collapsing vapour.

It's not the price. The design is poor.

Silicone seal and Clamps!?! Where does the air get IN.

AIR is the carrier of the steam. No air in no movement of steam.. Simples (other than by condensate)

If you put a bung on the end of your vaccuum cleaner it would not suck up debris. 🤣

Tbh. It is a cracking looking thing and I am sure the build is good. I like the "hatch" but I have never thought it good practise to take a power drill to something I have just purchased 😁

The design is fine and it works. It works in exactly the same way as a pot still does. Those are closed systems other than the outlet for the vapour that has turned to liquid/booze.

I use the Brewtools steam hat and condenser on my Brewtools pot to keep the steam down in my garage, I tried the door and fan method but it just doesn't cut it and limits the ability for equipment placement. The condenser works brilliantly, the Brewtools version has various water spray nozzles available to create the vaccum needed to draw the steam and the condensate just runs to drain, in my case an intermediate waste bucket that runs to drain. There is still a smell but it is not as noticeable as an open pot, if you can run it to an enclosed drain then you could reduce the smell further.

Other benefits are reduced boil off and less power to boil.

Have you had to make much of an adjustment to compensate for boil off being reduced? I'd guess that would affect the SG of the wort you're making? I've got a brewtools steam hat/condenser but have only (for various reasons) used it for CIP cleaning :) I do plan to start using it now for it's designed use though.

Latest posts

Back