Kettle elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, after around 5 years of faithful service, my kettle elements have failed.

I ordered some new ones from the heating element company (the Haden 10amp 2.4Kw version).

That was over a week ago and no deliveries. Phoned them today to ask WTF and they said they had a record of my payment but no record of what I ordered. Double WTF. Then they said they dont have any in stock. Triple WTF. Then they said they would call me back asap with a likely delivery date but still no call back. Quadruple WTF.

All in, I'm about ready to cancel my order and instruct my credit card company to halt payment.

But - is there anywhere else I can get proper reliable elements from? I dont fancy butchering cheap kettles as I'm not comfortable enough with electrics.

Thanks.

I'm looking into kettle elements as well, need 2 x 2.5KW (or there abouts) for a 100ltr boiler.

Vossy did a "how to" guide ages back which had a breakdown of parts needed and suggested Baker Electrical for the elements etc:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=950

Not sure if thats still the best palce though as the posts old, but really interested to hear what anyone else has to say regarding cost effective and reliable supplier!

have you considered using more smaller elements, i found on ebay china 1.5kw kettle elements for about a fiver each, i used 2 x in my hlt, and as they are low watt elements i could run 2 off a single 13a socket. using 4 in your kettle could provide u with upto 6kw of heating power But also allow u control by selecting elements to turn off once a rolling boil has been reached.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43bbcd064b

seems they have gone up in price since then.. still buy 6 and its cheaper than a single baker element and u have 2 backups..

8438940515_ba7f4eea2c_n.jpg

mine in use.. lower watt density = less crud build up and less chance of scorching wort

Last edited:
Well, it took almost 3 weeks but eventually got them.

Does anyone have a guide on how to fit them? The nut doesnt seem to want to come off. Do I have to taek out the screws at the back or something? :?:

if the chinese 1.5kw ones iirc u unscrew a couple of screws to remove the back bit with the power prongs, and screw them back up to fix and pinch the gasket in place.

with the thick wall of the bucket i used i had to split the gasket in half as otherwise the gap between element and back was too big for them to make an electrical contact..

Back