King Kegs - Are They Really That Bad?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1988

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been considering buying a King Keg for the past few days but I can't convince myself that they're good value for money as I keep reading horror stories of beer that's gone bad or leaks.

Are they really that temperamental or are am I only reading the horror stories.

Are they worth £50?

James

Hi,
Ive been using two fairly constantly for 9 months now and have not had any problems. I lube the seals with vaseline and have not had any leaks.

i cant comment on them never used one but having researched them didnt want to risk it, my budget kegs have been great and spent the savings on more grain- also u dont need the big lid, never had any cleaning problems so it just makes getting seal harder

I'm not one for fizzy beer such as lagers, either. I'm more into IPAs and stouts. For the odd witbier, I can bottle it.

Is it worth buying a dalex tap (I think they're the ones that pull down)?

Also when do you rack to keg? Just after primary or secondary?

I've been using the same 3 KK's for the past 15 years without any problems, like you I'm not too keen on fizzy beer.

Like scotttc I ensure that I vasiline the thread and round the 4" seal and dismantle the tap and clean it out and vasiline the threads on that also. Its also worth replacing the rubber rings round the gas injector nozzle, you should be able to get them thru your LHBS.

Rather than lash out 50 squid for one I'd keep your eyes open at car boot sales, you'd be astonished at what you can pick up there on a good day.

If you do get one thru the car boot or freecycle route before you use it take it to bits and give it a very thorough cleaning and sterilization.

I'm just about to start BIAB and intend to put part of the brew into bottles in an effort to keep them for as long as possibe as going to the KK for a brew is too easy sometimes.

I've used my KK's for years, replaced some lids after many uses and replaced the odd tap but never hand any problems. They are good for ale type brews but I guess not for lager as they don't hold that much pressure.

Also I read that some are not flat at the top, dunno if that's a recent problem as mine look like the have been turned flat on a lathe, they are about 15 years old.

between our family we have 2x king/rotokegs and 2x budget barrels. hands down the budget barrels have been better, only had to replace an O ring in the lid of one of them once and that's it, king keg and rotokeg have had the float playing up, sealing problems, rings replaced.

i personally think clearing time shouldn't be an issue because I prefer to get it pretty clear in the FV, and it's clear before it's mature enough to drink.

that's just personal experience though, as is everything. i'm sure other people have had much more positive experiences of them!

james1988 said:
I'm not one for fizzy beer such as lagers, either. I'm more into IPAs and stouts. For the odd witbier, I can bottle it.

No, I've ended up with 3 kk top taps and converted all to delux taps, I didn't think they are still available? Anyway the bit that you flip down is very prone to breaking, I also liked the idea of the sparkler at the end, like a hand pump but again didn't really do anything, I also since got a hand pump so I can pour from the keg via the hand pump and not use the tap anyway.
Also whilst I went for the top taps thinking yeah that's good idea, I never had issue with sediment on the bottom and found the float off system can fail leaving the beer stuck inside the keg!
I think the kk are better value than the budget kegs but that's not to say the budget kegs are useless, I just got para about air leaking into the thinner plastic and splitting as I planned to mature for a long time in the keg before serving/bottling.
If I were to buy again I'd go for the bottom tap version, standard tap.
Thanks
Andy

Thanks for the replies, it's certainly given me food for thought. I'm basically weighing up the pros and cons of saving up for cornie kegs or biting the bullet with king kegs. At the moment I haven't really got the room for cornies hence the want for King Kegs or budget kegs.

James

I suppose it also depends on what you're planning to use them for ale/lager and how u brew kits or full mash, unless you,re gettingco2 step too cornies can be difficult to use but they have a larger footprint then kk bar height. For my own use when I get setup again and needs arise I might try the casks similar price to kk and even simpler with less likely leaks in pressure look on how to guides for the plastic casks that shows what I mean

Personally I use the youngs budget kegs and they suit me fine. If you're not planning to go down the cornie route i'd plump for the budget kegs as you could buy 2 of those for not much more than 1 king keg. If you do go for king kegs i'd avoid the top taps as I've read a fair bit about people having problems with the float mechanism
:cheers:

How much lack of fizz are we talking here? My first batch (a lager) went into the King Keg.

i have 2 king kegs and had no problems with them... :party:
they were both 2nd hand on ebay... so not expensive..
i did a couple of lager kits and they were fizzy enough for me tbh... :thumb:

Newtons Shed said:
james1988 said:

No, I've ended up with 3 kk top taps and converted all to delux taps, I didn't think they are still available? Anyway the bit that you flip down is very prone to breaking, I also liked the idea of the sparkler at the end, like a hand pump but again didn't really do anything, I also since got a hand pump so I can pour from the keg via the hand pump and not use the tap anyway.
Also whilst I went for the top taps thinking yeah that's good idea, I never had issue with sediment on the bottom and found the float off system can fail leaving the beer stuck inside the keg!
I think the kk are better value than the budget kegs but that's not to say the budget kegs are useless, I just got para about air leaking into the thinner plastic and splitting as I planned to mature for a long time in the keg before serving/bottling.
If I were to buy again I'd go for the bottom tap version, standard tap.
Thanks
Andy

I have two standard kegs never had any problems due to less moving parts basically. As a novice I keep it simple.
Clean - Brew - Wait - Barrel -Wait -Drink! How have you attached a hand pump to your keg im really interested in doing this and can't find an answer elsewhere. Sorry to thread jump!

Are these comments about the top tap or bottom tap version? I imagine it makes a difference because I have read lots of reports of problems with the float mechanism.

Anyone care to suggest some kits that may be ideal for a top tap King Keg? Wouldn't want mine to go to waste.

The lager I just sampled out of it is pretty lifeless it has to be said. Then again I didn't CO2 it before I sealed it. And it has only been cold conditioning for 2 weeks. :?

Go for an IPA, stout or anything that's relatively flat compared to lager. The barrel won't take the pressure required. I can't recommend a kit as I've never done one but I'm sure somebody will be along soon.

I have two standard kegs never had any problems due to less moving parts basically. As a novice I keep it simple.
Clean - Brew - Wait - Barrel -Wait -Drink! How have you attached a hand pump to your keg im really interested in doing this and can't find an answer elsewhere. Sorry to thread jump. Quite easy to set up I got some braided beer tubing, one small piece pushed onto end of delux tap didn't need to but held it in place with a jubilee clip, with the other end going into the in of a check valve (a one way valve to stop any return flow) then from out of check valve to beer engine, when serving open tap of keg and pump through the hand pump. When finished close tap and pour last pint to clear line or leave in pipe for next session as its sealed. Some hand pump have a non return valve already in them, so depending on set up you may not need the check valve

rpt said:
Are these comments about the top tap or bottom tap version? I imagine it makes a difference because I have read lots of reports of problems with the float mechanism.
I have the top tap and yes the issues relate more to top taps as obviously you can't rely on gravity to get the beer out and yeah the float off just more parts to go wrong tbf they've moved house a few times so mostly misplaced but I did also taint the tube by soaking in boiling water

Latest posts

Back