Fed up with King Keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. This is something else. I had on my old Hambelton Bard beer Sphere 20 years ago which had a guage on the keg. The ones on the CO2 are not done properly. The one that measures the presure delivered would be better on the keg. What would happen if you needed to disconect the gas to put on another Corni or to replace it. It would show zero again. Having one on the keg itself is better. This is what I had. . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29501174...20+KZAlrGWNA+tUB8DKM3XV2BG|tkp:Bk9SR9ien9yiYg
This makes one of the meters on the gas redundant.

No. I had it on my Hambelton keg which I had for 20 years. Can't get it to work on the KK.

Don't see any gauge in that link besides I use S30s. Still need help with post #20.

Sorry to hear about your problems. So just before you explore the world of corny kegs you might want to try this out. If your valve looks like this...
View attachment 87420
You might want to check the position of the black washer. Should be under the cap between the cap and the disc face of the valve...

View attachment 87421
With regards to pressure testing using beer and CO2 or water and CO2, CO2 will dissolve in both and reduce the pressure which will appear to be a leak but not. Best way to pressure test with water is with air, not easy on a King Keg unless you drill and fit a Schrader type valve (car/bicycle type valve).
I use sugar solution to carbonate my fermented beer in a King Keg. After fermentation in a bucket I cold crash for 3 days to clear the beer then transfer to my KK and add the priming solution. Leave for 2 weeks at 20C to carbonate and pressurise the KK. Another 2 weeks at 10C ish and it's ready to serve. You can do exactly the same in a corny keg rather than a KK. You will get a bit of sediment with both. With a corny the first glass will be cloudy but once the sediment is cleared from the dip tube you should be ok. I use a float tube in my KK and get clear beer right from the off. The sediment gets sucked up with the last glass.
Hope that helps acheers.
Thanks for the diagram, really helpful. For some reason I thought the pressure release rubber was 5, not 3 which explains why I couldn't understand how it worked lol.

Okay but I don't have a pin on top of the Valve. It was removed for S30 use.
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/digital...hOwPQo1I3M380ihynas4DMa6MeHP6TyEaAqT0EALw_wcB
"For Monitoring Pressure In Any Barrel Fitted With A Balliihoo Control Cap"

I don't have a special ballihoo cap. It is the standard cap and valve supplied with king keg.

Also post #20
. . . For example how long can I keep it in the KK before there is actual evidence of the secondary fermentation going? . . .

Don't see any gauge in that link besides I use S30s. Still need help with post #20.
Screenshot_20230702-124927~2.png

That's the gauge, like a tyre pressure gauge. Not on all the time but you can at least check the pressure. As for knowing when carbonation has started you know when the pressure starts to increase, usually 2-3 days after transfer.
Just thought it might be another option for you.
Can't you drill a hole in your KK cap to fit your pressure gauge assembly? That's what I did with mine in the early days. Just make sure you leave enough space to attach the gas cartridges.

Okay. I will start tomorrow and leave it a few days to check the tap for any signs of life and I will get the key fob digital meter. If there is any activity the presure will rise also. Will get back to you if their are any problems.

Just though of rubbing the washer in vegitable oil first. The same as I put vasaline around the cap.

You can get food grade grease for this purpose. I used to put it around the big ring under the cap on my old Boots pressure barrel (remember those?).

Well I use petromium jeel but could chang over to food grade grease. Being using it for decades. Would you use food grade grease under the valve washer or not? Going to start a brew today.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with your valve, I just chipped in here to mention the food grade grease. But I have used petroleum jelly on the big lid gasket with no ill effects. I don't think it's toxic (people put it on their lips), and the quantity is tiny.
I have no idea whether the pressure would make any difference but if I were you I would use it if you didn't have the food grade grease.

I replaced my 2inch cap on my kk with one of those 2inch balliihoo caps with the schrader value. Works a charm 👌🏼
Just the one valve on it so you take off the CO2 injector to check the pressure with the push on pressure tester after a sesh, then top up CO2. For my simple rig it’s a start. As my old S30 valve had seen better days.

I've fitted a ball lock post bulkhead fitting that can be used for gas or liquid into a bit of space on the top of my king keg.
This means I can put a gauge on to measure the pressure or if needed add finings or priming sugar closed using a syringe and ball lock connector. Will take a picture in the morning.

I agree KY not funny, but booza101 said "I replaced my 2inch cap on my kk with one of those 2inch balliihoo caps". I think he means A youngs keg. KKs are 4 inch. I have startef the brew. Hopfull after 2 days in the KK, I should see some form of life.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back