King Robert IPA - 05-03-10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
Here is my second attempt at trying to get close to the Punk IPA style. My first attempt is excellent (and almost finished) but I never had the right hops. I felt that the body of my previous beer was more satisfying than the Brewdog effort so I am going to stick with that instead of the thinner version.

I got some chinook and nelson sauvin but failed on the ahtanum. However I have some very good challenger so I will replace the ahtanum for that. Mysterio posted his recipe for Punk IPA but I saw it too late and had already formulated the recipe below. Lets see how we get on - I have a good feeling about this one (probably a bad thing :roll: ).

Planning to use US-05 as it will allow the hops to shine and deliver a clean malt profile.

KingRobert05-03-10-1.jpg

Mash already on so should be tucked up early evening.

rabbie said:
Great name for a brew :thumb:

Cheers, he is buried about half a mile from my house (well, most of him is) so it seemed apt.

I've just opened the chinook and had a sniff. Its like sticking your nose into a glass of Punk. Superb !! :party:

Good luck with it! The recipe is based on details I got from someone who actually brewed a batch of Punk IPA with the brewers. So it's the real deal. I think the Chinook/Nelson combo is what makes it so good. I should say I haven't brewed it yet but it's on the cards.

I'm a little surprised at your addition of sugar? Punk IPA has got a nice sweetness to accompany the assertive bitterness and sugar seems to work against that?

mysterio said:
I'm a little surprised at your addition of sugar? Punk IPA has got a nice sweetness to accompany the assertive bitterness and sugar seems to work against that?

Hi Mysterio, part of my reasoning was to do with my first attempt in September, which I did before I saw your recipe. I noticed that they had advertised their OG at 52 so to get 6%abv they would have had to go down to around 1006-1007 so I assumed they had either added sugar to make that happen or had some fancy yeast.

My worry was that with a target OG of 60 I thought it might be a little too sweet with grain alone so my idea was to thin this out a little with the sugar. Going by my last brew it worked really well so it will be interesting to see how it goes with the chinook and nelson sauvin. It also might end up a bit stronger with the sugar and the US-05 :hmm:

Its all finished now and I hit my targets spot on. 25litres @ 1060 so now I have to wait a few days to see how it is progressing. In the meantime I have a couple of bottles of Punk IPA for this evening. :cheers:

Your 0min hops did you throw them in at flame out or let them steep from 80c? I'm gonna brew this next weekend just gotta get some chinook hops :thumb:

ni9e said:
Your 0min hops did you throw them in at flame out or let them steep from 80c? I'm gonna brew this next weekend just gotta get some chinook hops :thumb:

I didn't wait for the temp to drop I just turned off the gas and then chucked them in and let them soak for 25mins. The wort was about 83C when I passed it through the chiller.

Just posting so I can see how it comes along D :thumb: This is one I really want to brew - just need to order some hops then away I go :cool:

Dunfie said:
Hi Mysterio

Gotcha. I'm not sure I believe that advertised original gravity but nevermind! Definately be interested to hear how this turns out.

'The Homebrew Shop' say they're going to be stocking Ahtanum soon, by the way.

I've been drinking a ridiculous amount of Punk IPA because it's a quid a bottle in Sainsburys and I like the 330ml bottles for homebrew!

my last couple of brews with US-O5 have come down to 1004 - one was with no sugar and the other had 300g (both were 23litre brews) so my planned proper job clone has turned out at 7% instead of around 5.8% :shock: . I always have strange results with this yeast - plus sometimes it clears really well and sometimes it leaves a haze that won`t budge, but you`ve got to love the way it lets the hop flavour through :thumb:

will be attempting my punk clone soon, after the porter and kolsch or maybe inbetween but definetley before the imperial stout :whistle:

to much to brew!!

I think Hope & Grope have Ahtanum but I was getting an order from Paul at Barley Bottom and it was the only one he didn't have so I just fudged it with the Challenger.

I bottled last night - I had 46 brewdog bottles so I filled them and also got 16 normal bottles. The fg was around 1011 and was still very cloudy so I was a bit worried that it had not finished but I didn't see a lot of activity so confident that it was done. Just need to keep an eye on it and see if it clears over the next few days.

As for the taste, all the hops and malt body are there but was a bit masked by the yeast that was still in suspension. I'm sure that given a couple of months that this will be a fine beer.

How's this one doing?
I'm getting the ingredients in for this one for next weekend, but will have to switch out the Challenger for East Kent Goldings.
Looking forward to it!

Its a bit of a beast Rabbie.

It has more body than punk but doesn't deliver quite as much of the sharp punchy hop bite. However there is certainly plenty of citrus and I also get a load of blackcurrent on the nose. I took a few to the Scottish Craft Brewers meeting at the weekend and it was well received with a number of good comments. Having said all of that, I still think it needs a load more bottle time mellow out.

Latest posts

Back