Suggestions for a good New Zealand IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
My wife is keen for me to make a New Zealand IPA. We had one last year (Magic Dragon's Dolphin, which is apparently brewed with Motueka). Nelson Sauvin also sounds interesting (as we are both a fan of Malrborough Sauvignon blanc as well).

But having not used the hops before, I don't have much idea about making up a recipe except guessing. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a fitting IPA?

Think there is one called zipline on the American homebrew association website. Its members only to view them but if you download the app and login, you get a month's free subscription. Or at least you use to.

Toyed with the idea of making it a while ago. Think it's quite a high rated beer. It's a clone recipe.

I have 100g of waimea and 100g of wai-iti to try myself. I was looking at a nice pale ale
The best Kiwi IPA or any IPA is McCashins it mentions only wai iti hops but because of the low AA they must have a bittering hop, something neutral. I did ask for the recipe but got no reply. I thought they would as it was a limited edition.
New Zealand – The Cocktail Challenge

Interesting. Lots of NZ Pilsner and APA recipes but not many NZ IPAs.

I'm a fan of Nelson Sauvin hops but Nectaron is another level. Cassels Nectaron IPA is a great drop.

Could you find a good established IPA recipe and just use NZ hops...?

All good ideas 👆

Nectaron is delicious. I would try a nelson only or a nectaron/citra IPA (not nz only but think they would be an awesome complement) and just use golden promise as the base at about 7%.

I just brewed one today as I had 200g of NZ hops to use up. Grain bill was loosely based on Terrapin Hopsecutioner, a popular IPA in Georgia, USA. I made it slightly less bitter, in the 50s IBU instead of 70s. Also used Pilsner malt for the base to use that up but should technically be Pale Ale malt.

1DDE0ABA-D98C-4CB4-B521-02EC886BE214.jpeg

I brewed 22 litres of New Zealand IPA
5000g MO
300g Vienna
200g Carapils
200g Naked oats
100g Melanoidin
25g Southern Cross @60m
25g Rakau @15m
50g Māori mingle whirlpool @ 90C for 20m
CML Pia yeast
OG1063 BHE 76%

Zipline Brewing Co. NZ IPA | American IPA

INGREDIENTS

For 5.25 gallons

9.15 lb Briess Pilsner malt
0.9 lb Weyermann Vienna malt
0.65 lb Weyermann CaraMunich II malt
0.48 lb Briess Victory malt
0.8 lb Flaked White Wheat malt

11g Pacific Jade hops (60 min)
11g Pacific Gem hops (30 min)
11g Rakau hops (30 min)
10g Wakatu hops (10 min)
11g Rakau hops (10 min)
10g Motueka hops (10 min)
11g Pacifica hops (10 min)
14g Pacific Gem hops (whirlpool)
14g Wakatu hops (whirlpool)
14g Rakau hops (whirlpool)
14g Motueka hops (whirlpool)
14g Pacifica hops (whirlpool)
14g Pacific Gem hops (dry)
14g Wakatu hops (dry)
14g Rakau hops (dry)
14g Motueka hops (dry)
14g Pacifica hops (dry)

Your favorite IPA yeast

SPECIFICATIONS
Original Gravity: 1.062
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Pre-boil Volume: 7 gallons
Pre-boil Gravity: 1.046

DIRECTIONS

Note: This recipe assumes a mash efficiency of 75% and an evaporation rate of 25% over a period of 60 minutes.
Conudct single infusion mash at 152° F. Target mash pH is 5.3.
Conduct a 60 minute boil, following the hop additions as listed in the ingredients.
Add dry hops after 9 days in primary fermentation.

I absolutely love Nelson Sauvin and Azacca. I am about to make something with Nectaron, but it will also have a heavy dose of Sabro aswell so I guess (Sabro is American?) Not fully NZ.

Will certainly post up how the Nectaron goes though.

I absolutely love Nelson Sauvin and Azacca. I am about to make something with Nectaron, but it will also have a heavy dose of Sabro aswell so I guess (Sabro is American?) Not fully NZ.

Will certainly post up how the Nectaron goes though.
Kegging a cascade and azacca tonight. Sample jar tasted nice 👍

Back