Kit Lager Ratios?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello!

I have gone all grain.. however as I am sure many of you have found people saying
'oooh home brew.. no thanks Id rather spend £££ bringing crapy lager into your house'

I have a can of Coopers Cerveza at my disposal and I want to make a keg of 'lager'. I dont care if it tastes great.. just a passable so people don't leave their Stella 4 cans in my bin...

on to the question!

I have 1kg of extra light ME and 1kg of 'brewing sugar'..

should I just use the brewing sugar or a combination their of?!

Also... Should I use S04 at 15C or a lager yeast at 15C... as that is the ambient temp of my cellar?

D

You know about this than me mate, but I'd use lager yeast.

The mexican Cerveza kit I did is one of the best ktis I've done. I was unable to lager it as i did not have a fridge at the time. However I did berw at lager temps, then racked and left it at similar lager temps for a month or so before bottling. Ended up tasting more like a Pilsner than a standard supermarket lager.

I normally do the 2 can ale kits, or the 1 can brewferm ktis which are brewed to shorter lengths, ut this simple 1 can kit was amazing. I can;t rememebr how much sugar/ME I used, but I can check when I get home if you are interested? I'll let you knwo which lager yesat I used too if you like. I am fairly sure i brewed it slightly short to about 20L

Coopers recommend their Brew Enhancer No2 for the Cerveza kit which contains...

500 gm Brewing Sugar
250 gm Dry Malt Extract
250 gm Maltodextrin ( for extra body / head retention)

:cheers:

StrangeBrew said:
Coopers recommend their Brew Enhancer No2 for the Cerveza kit which contains...
500 gm Brewing Sugar
250 gm Dry Malt Extract
250 gm Maltodextrin ( for extra body / head retention}
:cheers:

I suspect I'll use 50/50 but wanted to see what others had done.
shearclass said:
I'll let you knwo which lager yesat I used too if you like. I am fairly sure i brewed it slightly short to about 20L
I think brewing short to 20L (its going in a cornie anyway) will be the key. If your find out can you post for me.

That kit is meant to be really good! Have a little more faith in it, kit beers are often great so give it a chance :)

My LHBS stock a kit enhancer which is 50/50 Brewing Sugar and DME. I'm sure you know this but using that (roughly) will bring up the ABV without affecting the flavour or body much. I would go 50/50 to ensure it's not malty and not dry...

OK so apparently i used a right mish mash of things.

150g light hopped spray malt
500g Beer kit enhancer
700g dextrose

So thats

150g hopped spray malt
250g plain spray malt
950 g dextrose

Used saflager S-23

OG 1.046, FG 1.004

About 2 weeks fermenting, another 4 weeks or so in another FV, tthen bottled, tasted good as soon as it had carbonated if i remember correctly.

i was well impressed!

I hear good things about this kit.. Hmm. I'll throw it together tomorrow and we shall see! :cheers:

I'm going to get another one of these ktis on tonight, my girlfriends unheated spare room is at a perfect larger fermenting temperature!

Latest posts

Back