Kit Wine but missing the bits to finish it - what do i need?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GliddosVinos

Reaction score
Greetings ..... the missus has had a tidy up and this included the area i keep my wines in.... she inadvertantly took the tub, in which i keep the packets of stuff like stabliser and finings and has either misplaced it r thrown it away, much to my annoyance :(

Anyhow due to this i have lost what i needed to finish my 25 litres of Pinot Grigio.

If i remember rightly there were 3 packs of different finings and a stabliser?

Can anyone confirm this or tell me what i can get to use instead?

im thinking a pack of stabliser and finnings from Wilkos but its the thought i originally had 3 packs that is making me err on the side of caution to this method??! OR should i just let it clear naturally like y other wines? thing is i would like this ready for Christmas

thanks for the help in advance

Fining's are not always needed, so be guided how the wine is clearing naturally. If it seems to be suborn you can always put one in later.
Have you got Campden tablets left ?

and dock the cleaners pay this week.......... :D

ack well must be lifes way of saying not to rush things- wines defo improve/fix selves if left a while- christmas might be a bit ambitious

Ok, this what you need. Get a tub of campden tablets and a tub of potassium sobate otherwise known as wine stopper or stabiliser. Then get a two part sachet of finings. Put in 1 crushed campden per gallon and 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of pot sorb. Then add the finings as instructed on the sachet. The three sachets you had were probably a mix of CT and Pot sorb and then 2 finings sachets. Parts A & B. Job done. Wilkos should have all the above, and they will do more than one brew.

I'm in the final stages of a wine kit that had 3 parts at the end. Potassium metasulphate (I think, also believe it's what is in campden tablets), potassium sorbate and islinglass finnings. Think it's pretty standard across most kits.

Latest posts

Back