Klarstein mundschenk mash question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybinss

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have just blagged the offer from Klarstein and now have a bright shiny new all in one, Yeay! I have cleaned prior to doing a brew tomorrow. CML ST Austell salute. Question - recipe says 13.5 l for mash, but I was wondering about dead space between bottom of grain pipe and bottom of kettle ( approx 3 inches), should I mash with 13.5l as recipe suggests or add extra water to allow for dead space ( approx 5l) ? also I dont understand when it says mash thickness of 3kg/l? Pic below shows what I mean by gap, maybe I'm being as thick as the mash! :oops:

Attachments

• 20230201_161554.jpg
    20230201_161554.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2
Mash thickness sounds like it's backwards. It should be 3L/kg.

Ie, for every kg of grain, add 3L of mash liquor.

And yes, you should use extra liquor to fill that dead space,  then add your 13.5L of strike liquor for the mash.

You can probably subtract the volume of that dead space from your sparge liquor (if you are doing a sparge) to get the correct boil volume and gravity

Thanks for that, other way round makes more sense. 4.5kg of grain x 3 gives the 13.5l , I'll add the dead space water as you suggest. Brew ha tomorrow!

Thanks for that, other way round makes more sense. 4.5kg of grain x 3 gives the 13.5l , I'll add the dead space water as you suggest. Brew ha tomorrow!
How did you get on? Any lessons learned? First AG brew, and first brew with this, planned for the weekend. Did you sparge by just jugging warmed water over the raised malt pipe?

Latest posts

Back