Kohatu IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

Reaction score
Bought some kohatu, as I liked the sound of it! (incidently, after collecting my 25kg bag of grain from courier, I gotta ask - Rob is built like Arnie in his prime, right? :lol: )
Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on hopping rates, or complimentary hops. Bought NZ pacifica too cos they sounded nice. Got most of the 'common' hops in the freezer. I like my ipa's with plenty aroma, not so bitter tho. Thought about pacifica in boil and kohatu dry hopping?

Shug said:
Bought some kohatu, as I liked the sound of it! (incidently, after collecting my 25kg bag of grain from courier, I gotta ask - Rob is built like Arnie in his prime, right? :lol: )
Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on hopping rates, or complimentary hops. Bought NZ pacifica too cos they sounded nice. Got most of the 'common' hops in the freezer. I like my ipa's with plenty aroma, not so bitter tho. Thought about pacifica in boil and kohatu dry hopping?

I've never used these but I would do the other way round.

"Kohatu; big aroma hop with intense floral characteristics of pine needles and tropical fruit"

"Pacifica; classic Hallertau citrus and floral character orange marmalade achieved through late addition"

I'd go with Kohatu at start of boil, both at 10mins, Pacifica post boil steep and both dry hop, but whatever you do will be good.

I've had Arbor Ales' Kohatu single hop ale a while ago and found the bitterness to be a bit astringent (nice flavour and aroma though).

So maybe best to use late on the boil or keep the IBUs modest ?

I was really disappointed with Kohatu when I tried them. Maybe I got some that had been poorly handled but I got nothing out of them, no aroma or flavour. I used leaf hops and from the write ups about them i had wondered if pellets might have been better.

Back