Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use heating or cooling, as I don't really have any. lol

I try to pitch at 38/39 degrees C though, then wrap the FV really well in blankets and let the yeast do it's thing. This is probably why my fermentations take about a week to finish.... I couldn't say if I cam getting orange or earthy notes from the yeast, but the beers have been absolute stunners! Best beers I've made, all of them. Well, bit early to say for the cherry Bakewell porter as that was only bottled the other day, but the chocolate orange porter, after dinner mint porter and Jester golden ale were all really really delicious. Much better results than I ever obtained using dried yeasts, with just tiny quantities of Voss Kveik Slurry (only bought a single tube of Yeast Bay Sigmund's Voss).

Of course, the Bakewell porter I ended up pitching at 28 degrees C.... I only cooled to 39, but in the time I left the wort for the trub to settle a bit, the temp dropped as our heating boiler cut out.... Given I was aiming for cherry and almond flavours there though, no biggy. ;)

Sounds like a cool idea to me. I'm betting you'll get a very low FG. Juice tends to go under 1000. Ive read about people who use hops in their ciders and that you should go really easy on the hops cause it turn rea"y bitter. As always, fotos! Taste! Recipe!
The day before yesterday I made a hop tea 1 litre water 14g Saaz (3.2 AA), just boiled the water, poured on the hops, let it stand for a few hours. It was a bit bitter, but in the 25 litre plus AJ I could not feel any bitterness after adding it.
Yesterday I took a sample, gravity was 1.014, original was 1.042. When I opened the bucket there was a ton of yeast on top of the juice and a slight sulphur smell. I'm not concerned about the smell, had way worse beforehand, and the brew was still tasty. At the moment my "cider" tastes a bit like Magners/Bulmers, except it's still full of yeast (dull). In a few days I'll make the chamomile elder flower tea as well. I'm planning of letting it ferment at ambient till there is activity, then transfer it to a glass carboy, and it goes to the unheated extra bedroom we have (15-16 C) for 2-3 months at least.

Planning on doing another RIS. I cant really decide but it might be something like below. Does anyone have any experience of roasted rye? I have been thinking about a rye stout for a while and i think it will be nice and smooth in an imperial.

8-10% 50-60 IBU
68% MO
10% oat malt
5% red crystal rye
7% roasted rye
10% golden syrup

Think i am going to split the batch and add lactose and nibs to one, oak the other.

The day before yesterday I made a hop tea 1 litre water 14g Saaz (3.2 AA), just boiled the water, poured on the hops, let it stand for a few hours. It was a bit bitter, but in the 25 litre plus AJ I could not feel any bitterness after adding it.
Yesterday I took a sample, gravity was 1.014, original was 1.042. When I opened the bucket there was a ton of yeast on top of the juice and a slight sulphur smell. I'm not concerned about the smell, had way worse beforehand, and the brew was still tasty. At the moment my "cider" tastes a bit like Magners/Bulmers, except it's still full of yeast (dull). In a few days I'll make the chamomile elder flower tea as well. I'm planning of letting it ferment at ambient till there is activity, then transfer it to a glass carboy, and it goes to the unheated extra bedroom we have (15-16 C) for 2-3 months at least.

So almost nothing from the hops? Anyway, can't way to hear about how it turned out. And if good make it for the Mrs. She loves my ciders. I'm planning on doing one with kveik (hoping for residual sugars) Apple and grape juice. Thinking about 18liter of apple, 5 of grape. Yum

So almost nothing from the hops? Anyway, can't way to hear about how it turned out. And if good make it for the Mrs. She loves my ciders. I'm planning on doing one with kveik (hoping for residual sugars) Apple and grape juice. Thinking about 18liter of apple, 5 of grape. Yum
No bitterness anyway, but probably it contributes to the aroma...hard to tell, as it's still fermenting and murky. I don't know about residual sugars, mine will ferment to quiet dry I believe, will measure a gravity tonight and let you know where we are. It's still bubbling,keeping it above the drier (which is on for hours a day,generating heat.) Maybe I even make the chamomile-elder flower tea tonight and pour it in. Whenever I used this combo in beer I got a Muscat wine aroma-taste, sweet and floral. That would be nice in a cider....

No bitterness anyway, but probably it contributes to the aroma...hard to tell, as it's still fermenting and murky. I don't know about residual sugars, mine will ferment to quiet dry I believe, will measure a gravity tonight and let you know where we are. It's still bubbling,keeping it above the drier (which is on for hours a day,generating heat.) Maybe I even make the chamomile-elder flower tea tonight and pour it in. Whenever I used this combo in beer I got a Muscat wine aroma-taste, sweet and floral. That would be nice in a cider....

Sounds awesome! I thought about maybe adding some malt, maybe Amber extract? In the Cider and use kveik instead of cider yeast for the residual sugars. Don't know. Mrs likes them semi dry. Not dry all the way. I've tried with different sweeteners but Nah. Tastes funny.

Sounds awesome! I thought about maybe adding some malt, maybe Amber extract? In the Cider and use kveik instead of cider yeast for the residual sugars. Don't know. Mrs likes them semi dry. Not dry all the way. I've tried with different sweeteners but Nah. Tastes funny.
Never tried sweeteners cause heard they r funny. I don't mind sweetness, but you could always ferment it to totally dry. Then freeze some apple juice in a plastic bottle, then thaw it upside down, making concentrate. Then pour your cider and a shot of concentrate: sweetish and full of apple taste....

I tasted a little sample of my kviek brew when removing the airlock, fitting a cap to build some pressure and setting it up for cold crash. It tastes very belgian, bread, cake, spice, with notes of sweet orange. I'm very surprised to taste a complete absence of hot, solvent, alcohol type flavours which I'd usually expect a little of in a belgian brew with a similar ester profile. It is very yeasty though and will likely be a much more delicate beast when cleaned up and conditioned.

Never tried sweeteners cause heard they r funny. I don't mind sweetness, but you could always ferment it to totally dry. Then freeze some apple juice in a plastic bottle, then thaw it upside down, making concentrate. Then pour your cider and a shot of concentrate: sweetish and full of apple taste....

I've used liquid Sucralose to back sweeten mead a couple of times. Initially it seems to give an odd metallic flavour, but after about 4 months in the bottle this conditions out. If you try to drink it early though, you definitely know it's there, and it's not very pleasant. I won't use Xylotol as I already have issues that that stuff will make works, thanks to my diabetes medications.... lmao

In other news, got around to using the Hothead ale yeast (single strain isolate from Stranda Kveik) last night. The airlock was klopping (using my Speidel) instantly (I brought the pouch up to room temperature whilst brewing, and pitched at 30 degrees C). No starter, but I did pitch the entire pouch into 14 litres of wort with an OG of only 1.040... I'll hopefully be skimming the krausen a bit later today to try to harvest it for future use.

I've used liquid Sucralose to back sweeten mead a couple of times. Initially it seems to give an odd metallic flavour, but after about 4 months in the bottle this conditions out. If you try to drink it early though, you definitely know it's there, and it's not very pleasant. I won't use Xylotol as I already have issues that that stuff will make works, thanks to my diabetes medications.... lmao

In other news, got around to using the Hothead ale yeast (single strain isolate from Stranda Kveik) last night. The airlock was klopping (using my Speidel) instantly (I brought the pouch up to room temperature whilst brewing, and pitched at 30 degrees C). No starter, but I did pitch the entire pouch into 14 litres of wort with an OG of only 1.040... I'll hopefully be skimming the krausen a bit later today to try to harvest it for future use.
Just tried some of the "cider" I do not know how but at 0.988 gravity it tastes like a transition between a semi sweet and a semi dry wine if you know what I mean...it doesn't feel dry at all. Will tranfer it to a keg over the weekend.

Just tried some of the "cider" I do not know how but at 0.988 gravity it tastes like a transition between a semi sweet and a semi dry wine if you know what I mean...it doesn't feel dry at all. Will tranfer it to a keg over the weekend.

Good result then. athumb..

I tried brewing a turbo cider once. Fresh it was sharp enough to make you pull faces. Few months later, some bottles were so rotten they were undrinkable, 1 bottle was actually decent... Never again. lol

Good result then. athumb..

I tried brewing a turbo cider once. Fresh it was sharp enough to make you pull faces. Few months later, some bottles were so rotten they were undrinkable, 1 bottle was actually decent... Never again. lol
I've heard about someone using turbo yeast to make vodka, "shoot me it's better to be dead than this hungover" was the result....Turbo is good for cars nothing else....:D

I've heard about someone using turbo yeast to make vodka, "shoot me it's better to be dead than this hungover" was the result....Turbo is good for cars nothing else....:D

I used CML cider yeast. I should have used the cheap ebay stuff with sweetener in it.... lol

Many years ago, I did make one of those mixed fruit Prohibition mixed fruit shot kits up (about the same time as my first foray into making mead, before I discovered degassing, and not letting my wife drink it until it had actually had time to condition! lol I did however make a damson country wine back then that came in at 16% ABV and tasted like a liquer….). Was actually quite tasty, if a bit on the acidic side.... lol

I’ve currently just set the 60min timer for my mash and have a 35ml vial of Voss coming up to room temperature. I’ve not had time to make a starter but have read a lot about under pitching Kveik. Does any know if a can just pitch half of the vial and then grow the remaining on a stir plate at a later date or would this be a serious under pitch?

I’ve currently just set the 60min timer for my mash and have a 35ml vial of Voss coming up to room temperature. I’ve not had time to make a starter but have read a lot about under pitching Kveik. Does any know if a can just pitch half of the vial and then grow the remaining on a stir plate at a later date or would this be a serious under pitch?

Forgot to mention, 20liters @ 1050 estimate.

I use about 5mls a time in a 14 litre batch. You seriously don't need more than 10mls in a normal strength 23 litre batch I'd say. The stuff is a beast. lol

I would. Massive underpitch is kveik in a nutshell. Just add some nutrients and keep temp up high. Voss is 34celcius i think

Swap the 3 and the 4 there bud... lol Pitch at 39, ferment at 43 degrees C, that's the norm.... ashock1 Oh and beware the attenuation! 78% attenuation on a beer I mashed at 69 degrees C.....:laugh8: 80.8% attenuation on a beer I mashed at a more sedate 67 degrees C...… If you read Lars Blog, the Norwegian chaps in Voss, they mash warm too to stop it running away with it.athumb.. It's not Belle Saison crazy, but it's still a darned good attenuator.

http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html#kv1

Cheers guys! Think I’m off with 9ml and fermenting as high as my fridge will allow!

I stopped cooling when I’d hit 40c and transferred to a fermenter, gave the wort a good whisk then pitched 10ml of the vial then put the remaining back in the fridge for another day.

When I’d put the fermenter in the fridge the inkbird was reading 34c so I know for next time not to cool so much and check the temperature after transferring and aerating to hit the 39c pitch.

Checked on the brew this morning and it’s off mental! Inkbird is set at 41c but reading 39c. Not sure how warm it’ll get but time will tell.

Am I right in thinking that the beer will need cooling once fermentation has more or less finished?

What’s the best method for this, letting the temperature fall naturally or by setting the inkbird and using the fridge?

Back