Lack of carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathewjenkinson

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im having a bit of an issue with making fizzy beer.
This is my 2nd batch, the 1st went very successfully, I was able to brew a very tasty beer, tho it did taste very yeasty.
So my plan with the 2nd one was to eliminate the yeast flavour.

The issue seems to be that I cant get very much carbonation, My 1st batch of beer was put in a large pressure vessel, this time I have chosen to put the beer in individual bottles, Sadly now whenever I open a bottle there is very little carbonation.
So I am wondering where did I go wrong?
What are the variables involved in producing a carbonated beer?
I know temperature is a big one, as well as sugar content, but both have been followed to the letter.

Has anyone else experienced this before if so. how did you rectify it?
This there any hope for the beer thats already bottled? Can I artificially carbonate them? Using something like a soda stream or tiny piece of dry ice?
Thanks for any help provided.
Mathew

How long did you leave it in the bottles before opening?
When you bottle you need 0.5tsp per bottle.
Leave at room temp for 1 week and then store in a cool, light free, place for several weeks or until you can't wait any longer.

they were left a week in a warm place and then about 8 days in my garage which is a cool area, then followed by my fridge before drinking.

I used 1/2 tbl spoon per bottle - is it just a case of waiting game now?
thanks
Mathew

What type of beer are you brewing? Lager?

If you want a Fosters style of carbonating, up the sugar to 3/4 to 1tsp.

mathewjenkinson said:
they were left a week in a warm place and then about 8 days in my garage which is a cool area, then followed by my fridge before drinking.

I used 1/2 tbl spoon per bottle
A week in a warm place :thumb:
8 days in a cool area before testing one bottle is perfectly understandable, but they really need a month.
Serving from the fridge will reduce carbonation as it will hold gas in solution, you just belch more.

If you used 1/2 a tablespoonful then they should be very lively, or possibly exploding :eek:
It should be half a teaspoonful.

Was it a big beer (high OG) with extended aging and secondary time? I've had beers where the yeast was just tired out and the alcohol content was so high, that it never really carbonated. I ended up having to open each bottle and add rehydrated dry yeast. :cry:

Eventually, they did carbonate but it was a good learning experience for me. Now for big beers, I typically re-yeast at bottling.

Hope you get it figured out.

lol @ Moley.

Forgive my lack of cooking knowledge. I know in the kitchen there are 2 normal types of spoons, a somewhat large one and a smaller one that my mum uses for putting sugar in her tea. I used the smaller on.

Ive brewed a honey Larger, I was going for the stella kind of carbonation where I can see continuous bubbles.
It sounds like its on the right track and im just a bit a bit eager!
Ok will keep the bottles in a cool place for another 4 weeks, one thing ive learned about brewing, is that it takes slightly longer than anticipated.
Thank you for your insite :)

Latest posts

Back