Lactic Acid question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneiroi

Reaction score
Morning all

Does anyone know if the lactic acid they sell for cosmetic purposes is different than the food-grade stuff?

I've been using powder but it was kind of annoying me, so I bought some liquid. wasn't till I read the back that I realised it was being sold for cosmetics. On the front it just says "Lactic Acid 80%".

There's no list of ingredients on the bottle, which suggests to me it's just pure lactic acid (and I guess some water diluted) and it doesn't smell at all, is there any reason not to use it in my beer?

I assume you are using lactic acid to adjust your pH and not confusing it with lactose ?
Food grade products have a higher purity and won't contain things like heavy metals.

I assume you are using lactic acid to adjust your pH and not confusing it with lactose ?
Food grade products have a higher purity and won't contain things like heavy metals.

Yup, for adjusting PH. I want to start experimenting with kettle sours so mainly pre acidifying wort down to about 4.5.

Apparently people use it for skin peels o_O

Latest posts

Back