Lager concern

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've got this Cooper European Lager in the keg that is giving me some consternation.

I went on me hols and left it in the fv for 10 days. I have read that an extended fermentation, or at least more than the recommended 5 days in the little book it comes with, not only does no harm but can actually help you out with clarity and ensure fermentation has indeed stopped completely.

Problem is the first couple of samples after kegging are vinegary :sick: . I didnt pick it up at first but it's quite distinct now. Is this some sort of infection? Maybe it's supposed to taste a bit like that but no lager I've tasted was like this ...

Annoyingly on my first two brews I was pretty lax with the sterilisation and also used an unsterilised :shock: wooden spoon for both. They came out fine. In fact the Irish Velvet is cracking :) With this one I used my new long handled plastic stirring paddle and I was very strict with sterilisation, making sure I sterilised everything

All I can think maybe some air got in the fv, which had a lid on but was not sealed all the way round so as to allow for a little co2 movement, or maybe the way I transferred to the keg, which was using the tap on the fv. Perhaps I should have siphoned it like I did with my first two but that has always seemed somewhat unsterile, having to suck start the thing to get the beer moving.

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance !

Chris

sounds like acetification :shock: ive never had it before, its when acetic bacteria turns the alcohol in to vinegar. it can be stopped, but i dont know how :( sorry.

Dec said:
sounds like acetification :shock: ive never had it before, its when acetic bacteria turns the alcohol in to vinegar. it can be stopped, but i dont know how :( sorry.

Cheers Dec - it does indeed look like this having looked it up and it appears (in cider at least) it can smooth out after leaving it for a couple of weeks. I'm going to move mine to a colder place (shed) and see what occurs.

Anyone else know if I can do any more to reverse it ?

Latest posts

Back