Lager Fermentation Temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got a Cooper's Lager kit in cupboard. I've got all grain equipment now burning may as well get this last kit on before the dive into AG!

The brew fridge is all setup, my question is what temps do you suggest? Currently I've got a Cooper's Australian bitter kit finishing off in there at 18'c.

The fridge can hold two FVs

I think Coopers use an ale yeast in their kit which brews at higher temperatures than lager yeasts. Check the range on the kit. If 18c is within range then just get the two in there together.

mike77 said:
I think Coopers use an ale yeast in their kit which brews at higher temperatures than lager yeasts. Check the range on the kit. If 18c is within range then just get the two in there together.

Just what I wanted to hear :party: :thumb:

I've heard that some Cooper's lager kits use a genuine lager yeast - may be the European lager. But, as already said, check the temperature range in the instructions.

rpt said:
I've heard that some Cooper's lager kits use a genuine lager yeast - may be the European lager. But, as already said, check the temperature range in the instructions.

Just checked, it's the European I've got, and lager yeast it is!

It does say it can ferment down to 13'c. But doesnt really specify a suggest temp. Essentially it looks like anything between 13'c to 27c'! Very vague...

Anyone got any tips?

I think the higher the temp you ferment it then the more fruity flavours you will get. Very clean down at 13c becoming more ale like as you get higher temps. I think you'll get a good drink at 18c just with maybe a little extra flavour. Character I would call it.

Just read a coopers recipe and it suggests:

Ideally, start the ferment near 24°C then over 12 to 24 hours let the temp' fall to 15°C and maintain this temp' until finished.

This sounds ideal to me, I may brew it slightly short... 21l or so.

Will dropping to 15'c affect my other brew in the brew fridge? It's using ale yeast, it'll be in there for two weeks whilst I'm on holiday!

One of the best kits IMO. If I was brewing it again I would go with one of the following....

Euro Lager Kit
500g Extra Light DME
1kg Brewing sugar
25g Saaz (or hop of choice)

Boil 6L of water
Take off the heat, add the DME, brewing sugar and lager kit
Bring back to the boil then add the Saaz for 10 minutes
Dump the lot(including the hops) into the FV and top up with water to 23L
Bring temp down to approx 25 degrees and then pitch the yeast straight in.
Place in the brew fridge set at 20 degrees for 24 hours
Lower temp to 15 degrees
Ferment for 3 weeks
Transfer to secondary (leave yeast/hops/etc behind)
Slowly raise the temp to 20 degrees (over 24 hours, 2 degrees every 10 hours)
Allow to rest for 48 hours
Lower temperature by 5 degrees every day until set at 0 degC (4 days)
Lager at 0 degrees for 4 weeks
Raise temp to 10 degrees over 2 days (5 degrees per day)
Bottle/Keg using your preferred method. I would recommend 3g per bottle (if bottling) with this kit as it has a decent amount of body.
Allow a full 4 weeks in the bottle at approx 15-20 degrees (this is necessary as a lot of yeast will have fallen out of suspension)
Allow a full 2 weeks in the bottle < 5 degC
Enjoy probably one of the best kit lagers available

Method 2:

Exactly the same as above only don't bother with the extra DME and just brew to 20L :D

Will dropping to 15'c affect my other brew in the brew fridge? It's using ale yeast, it'll be in there for two weeks whilst I'm on holiday!

I'm not sure how long your other beer has been fermenting for or what stage you are at i.e. primary fermentation, secondary fermentation or conditioning. If the active fermentation is done and the beer is now just conditioning then no I don't think that dropping the temp will have a negative impact. If anything you will have well condition beer when you get back.

ScottM said:
One of the best kits IMO. If I was brewing it again I would go with one of the following....

Euro Lager Kit
500g Extra Light DME
1kg Brewing sugar
25g Saaz (or hop of choice)

Boil 6L of water
Take off the heat, add the DME, brewing sugar and lager kit
Bring back to the boil then add the Saaz for 10 minutes
Dump the lot(including the hops) into the FV and top up with water to 23L
Bring temp down to approx 25 degrees and then pitch the yeast straight in.
Place in the brew fridge set at 20 degrees for 24 hours
Lower temp to 15 degrees
Ferment for 3 weeks
Transfer to secondary (leave yeast/hops/etc behind)
Slowly raise the temp to 20 degrees (over 24 hours, 2 degrees every 10 hours)
Allow to rest for 48 hours
Lower temperature by 5 degrees every day until set at 0 degC (4 days)
Lager at 0 degrees for 4 weeks
Raise temp to 10 degrees over 2 days (5 degrees per day)
Bottle/Keg using your preferred method. I would recommend 3g per bottle (if bottling) with this kit as it has a decent amount of body.
Allow a full 4 weeks in the bottle at approx 15-20 degrees (this is necessary as a lot of yeast will have fallen out of suspension)
Allow a full 2 weeks in the bottle < 5 degC
Enjoy probably one of the best kit lagers available

Method 2:

Exactly the same as above only don't bother with the extra DME and just brew to 20L :D

Thanks fella,

I've somewhat heeded your advice, minus the hops! And I've used Cooper's brew enhancer 2 which I already had.

I've set the brew fridge at 20'c and will drop the temp to 15'c in 24hrs. I'm off to Corfu tomorrow so I'm in a bit of a rush!

crE said:
Thanks fella,

I've somewhat heeded your advice, minus the hops! And I've used Cooper's brew enhancer 2 which I already had.

I've set the brew fridge at 20'c and will drop the temp to 15'c in 24hrs. I'm off to Corfu tomorrow so I'm in a bit of a rush!

No problemo, one major downfall of the kit is that it's really lacking in hops, other than that it's a really good beer.

Did you add brewing sugar as well as the brew enhancer? The brew enhancer alone won't really be enough for 23L, just right for around 20L though :)

ScottM said:
crE said:
Thanks fella,

No problemo, one major downfall of the kit is that it's really lacking in hops, other than that it's a really good beer.

Did you add brewing sugar as well as the brew enhancer? The brew enhancer alone won't really be enough for 23L, just right for around 20L though :)

Didn't have time to buy hops unfortunately! I Just used the enhancer, it says it's enough for 4%abv on the packet, I'm not too fussed if it only hits 3.5%. Would the addition of hop pellets (after 2 weeks when I get back off holiday) make a difference? Is it worth it?

crE said:
ScottM said:
crE said:
Thanks fella,

Didn't have time to buy hops unfortunately! I Just used the enhancer, it says it's enough for 4%abv on the packet, I'm not too fussed if it only hits 3.5%. Would the addition of hop pellets (after 2 weeks when I get back off holiday) make a difference? Is it worth it?

Anything would definitely be better than nothing :)

I'm planning on leaving it at least another week to ferment, then another week to condition in a colder temperature before bottling. So I may Just in fact do this.

How many G of hops would you recommend for something like this?

crE said:
I'm planning on leaving it at least another week to ferment, then another week to condition in a colder temperature before bottling. So I may Just in fact do this.

How many G of hops would you recommend for something like this?

A fistfull :D

Back