Lager, help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micmacmoc

Reaction score
Hello Beer People!

I'm just putting together an order to make my first lager style beer. I have made wheat beers and ales with some success but would like some light fizzy stuff for the non ale drinkers and lassies.
So I'm going to order some lager malt and s23 along with some saaz hops. Lets see if I have this right then.

Is it necessary to make a S23 yeast starter with spraymalt etc?
A single infusion mash is ok with British lager malt?

Let the wort ferment out at 10C (my garage temp) until fermented then move to 18C (my house temp) for 48 hours
Back to the garage another 24hrs, bottling bucket, bottle and stick bottles in fridge to 'lager'

would this work? I have'nt a fridge to lager the whole lot at once

Recipe:
'Lager' 23litres 1042-1010 (80-% eff) 4.1% abv 24 IBU 3EBC
Lager malt 4000

Saaz (3.3) 60 mins 60g
Saaz (3.3) 5 mns 40g
S23 (1 or two packs?)

Any help would be most appreciated, it seems a waste not to use the constant 9-12C temp in my garage!

micmacmoc said:
Is it necessary to make a S23 yeast starter with spraymalt etc?
Only if you are making a 23L one :D

micmacmoc said:
A single infusion mash is ok with British lager malt?
:thumb: Yes

micmacmoc said:
Let the wort ferment out at 10C (my garage temp) until fermented then move to 18C (my house temp) for 48 hours
Pitch enough yeast and you don't need to do the diacetyl rest
micmacmoc said:
Back to the garage another 24hrs, bottling bucket, bottle and stick bottles in fridge to 'lager' Would this work? I have'nt a fridge to lager the whole lot at once
Then don't lager it . . . Ideally it needs to be done in bulk, at 0C . . .but 2 weeks at 9-12C will be achieve an acceptable result.

Certainly if you are pitching cold then pitch 2 or 3 sachets of yeast

Thanks very much, I'll try to do a 'brewday' thread with this, featuring my new toy; a refractometer. theres not a liquid in the house that has'nt been on the test plate!
Thanks Aleman.

Latest posts

Back