Lager recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another tip I read was to take a sample and microwave it for 10-20 seconds. If it smells buttery you’ll need to give it a few more days to clean up get did if the dreaded D!

A fg check...it's been in the fv since 9 Jan at 12c and been raised to 14 then 16c. Fg is bang on predicted at 1.007 which gives 5%.
It tastes great! Very clean and the bitterness is crisp and firm if that's a correct description! It's smells good too.
Taste....I cannot detect any "butter" flavours...I even tried a but in the microwave.. nothing except..lager!
Now...what next?
Should I crash it?
IMG_20210201_163310.jpg

aye crash, transfer and wait! I’ve just put my Altbier in the keg and will be making an Agustiner clone tomorrow which I hope to leave for a good four weeks lagering.

Crash...ok,for how long? I can get to about 3c. Could I crash for a couple of days then bottle then carb indoors for a fortnight then in the shed til warmer weather...?

Interesting reading, especially as I am planning to make 'my first lager' soon. I normally only drink lager with a curry, or when on holiday and nothing else is available, but I tried a commercial Pils before christmas brewed with noble and American citrus hops, which was actually really nice. The brewery's website just stated barley and Saaz and Centennial hops.

I have put a recipe together, but only have lager malt, rather than pilsner, not sure what difference that will make. Was planning bittering with Magnum, then equal quantities of Saaz and Centennial in two late additions, to a total bitterness of 28 IBU's.

I’m 17 days into my first lager, it’s having its diacetyl rest and will be bottled on Saturday. I’ve not smelled any sulphur aromas from my brew fridge. Is it always really obvious? I’m following foxbats kind guidance and recipe advice on this. It tasted fine on my last taste before I slowly nudged the temperature up and all is going as predicted so far but was braced for the smell of rotten eggs.

My Agustiner clone (Low & Slow lager) got made yesterday. Hit my numbers, chilled the wort overnight to 10c and added my Wyeast ‘Bavarian Lager’ yeast starter this morning. I’m gonna be quite diligent on this and once it’s all fermented and cold crashed it’s going in the ‘coalshed’ for 4 weeks minimum. I’ve purposely brewed a few beers over the last month or so which means I won’t have any kegs available even if I wanted to get at it early! Really hoping this particular recipe works out as a winner and that our freezing temps continue so this can get proper lagered!

Did a step mash and some water additions too so threw all my (limited) knowledge at this one. I’d been brewing a different lager recipe a couple of times before this one and feel I’ve got the process side all sorted. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I've set mine for 3c now...got 4 days work,then it'll be bottled,carbed for a week or so in the house then his in the brew shed til warmer weather arrives.

It’s the waiting that gets me. I’m just so eager to try the stuff I probably don’t give it enough time. As I say I’ve taken steps this time 😀

Latest posts

Back