Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david88

Reaction score
Im wanting to try a lager, which looks slightly trickier than ales with regards to temperature. I was planning to keep it fermenting in the outhouse which will be around ambient temperature, so 10-15 in the day and dropping at night. Would this work or is there any alternatives?

Also this book im looking at say after it has finished fermenting you should/can "lager" it by storing at 7degrees slowly decreasing the temperature to 1degree then raising it to 15degrees over a 1 month period. I dont think it is essential but what do you think.

yes mate you could do that , but if you got some good insulation it will help it at night so it won't drop too much , and lagering is better it mainly helps clear it and will increase the speed the conditioning up , byw if its a kit then the yeast will be an ale yeast which doesn't require low temps however to improve it you could get a lager yeast to do it this way

would it be worth investing in a cheap fridge off ebay where I could keep the fv at like 3-4 degrees for a month?

yes , that way to can keep your lagers in there (of course) but bottled beer and yeast and hops too etc , saves the house fridge and trouble off the mrs :thumb:

Yup, my grand plan is to conver the outhouse into a little brewing hut, shed for the kids toys, garage for everything else. Fridge, boiler and heating mats. I can see many hours spent in there.

Back