Larger fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few questions, I have just put a larger on using cml hell bottom fermenting yeast, temp range is 12-21c so i thought i would go 15, do i increase temp toward the end of fermentation i am sure i read on here a D rest for a few days all help welcome, this is my first larger

It's called lager, if you do proper lagering after the fermentation, it doesn't need Drest. I'd go for the lowest temperature the yeast can tolerate to achieve the clearest flavour.

I start increasing the temp once that gravity drops below 1.020. It helps keep fermentation going and the D-rest is taken care of. I go up by 1C a day, I drop the temp quickly after fermentation is complete and it’s had a couple of days around 18C.
The rationale is that it’s what I did the first time and I made a decent lager. So I don’t want to meddle with the method.

It's called lager, if you do proper lagering after the fermentation, it doesn't need Drest. I'd go for the lowest temperature the yeast can tolerate to achieve the clearest flavour.
Really?I've only done one lager...that was enough for me, life is too short, and I used a yeast that fermented at 8 - 12 degrees, then raised to about 14 degrees for D Rest for a few days before racking into a layering vessel which I maintained at 3 - 5 degrees for 6 weeks (though it was 8 weeks in the end). Came out nice and crystal clear but thought you still needed active yeast for a D rest to work as the yeast has to clean it up? If you crash too soon for lagering then the yeast go dormant and don't do their thing?

Really?I've only done one lager...that was enough for me, life is too short, and I used a yeast that fermented at 8 - 12 degrees, then raised to about 14 degrees for D Rest for a few days before racking into a layering vessel which I maintained at 3 - 5 degrees for 6 weeks (though it was 8 weeks in the end). Came out nice and crystal clear but thought you still needed active yeast for a D rest to work as the yeast has to clean it up? If you crash too soon for lagering then the yeast go dormant and don't do their thing?
None of the big breweries do Drest, they must know something about it...
I found staying on the cold side makes better results.
I personally don't like/feel the urge to drink hoppy beers by the keg, if you have a big enough fermenter you can make enough lager to make the wait worthwhile.😉

Anybody any idea what this is, I pitched 24 hours ago and not a whimper from the cml hell yeast 2 packs
924F0A47-A370-4497-A23F-3C271DC645EB.jpeg
D0155F5D-486D-4CD2-A38C-31B1A360C0DD.jpeg

Latest posts

Back