Last Minute Hop Option

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napolean

Reaction score
I’ve doing a St. Peter’s Ruby Red kit. It’s been in the FV for about 10 days and is still going. Late in the day I thought I’d add some Goldings, but it’s too late to dry hop and I’ve never done a hop tea. Is it as simple as steeping the hops in a muslin bag for an hour or so. I’ve brewed short. Any advice you be great, I’ve read a few how tos but been confused by terminology and varying advice. Thanks.

Why is it too late to dry hop? I tend to dry hop after about 10 days all the time.

Great thanks. That easy! A few more questions. How much water do I need? What’s the best way of getting it in the FV? I was going to siphon it to avoid air and the hops floating around, although I’ll put the hops in a bag when I step them.

It’s not too late to dry hop, but it is for me as I’d like to get it in bottles in the next couple of days. I also dry hop after about 10 days sometimes.

When I make hop teas I use 100ml of hot water for every 10g of pellets. If more hops are used it won't be a tea, more a sludge, and the extraction rate will be less, more water and you start diluting the brew especially if you are using a large hop weight. And what I often do is to chuck the tea including the hops into the FV to get the maximum benefit from the hops. You could do the same if there are still 2 days to go.

Great thanks. That easy! A few more questions. How much water do I need? What’s the best way of getting it in the FV? I was going to siphon it to avoid air and the hops floating around, although I’ll put the hops in a bag when I step them.

It’s not too late to dry hop, but it is for me as I’d like to get it in bottles in the next couple of days. I also dry hop after about 10 days sometimes.

I just guessed how much water to use, keeping in mind what terry says about sludge. I used about half a pint of water for 25g last time I made a hop tea.

Your using a hop bag but I just use a piece of kitchen towel folded as 'particulate filter' as in the vid below and passed the tea through that into a second pint glass. It worked really well. I then just carefully poured the tea into the beer at bottle time and give it a stir, making sure not to splash or cause any bubbles

I hope your beers turn out twice as good as mine...then they won't be half bad! Yeah it seems to work...patience is the key ..just let it do it's stuff!

Thanks all. Will using 50g/ 500ml make much difference to the final taste? I guess the proof is in the pudding!

Back