Leaking gas lines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herms bay

I'll Die trying.
Reaction score
I seem to be losing gas from somewhere in my gas distribution. I think that in my fridge the bend radius is sometimes too small and with the stiff tubing it's making the john Guest fittings leak. Is there a flexible alternative? what gas lines do you use with the manifolds with barbs, is it just braided hose onto the barb and grey barbed corney gas connectors?

How do you use these, with what tubes
4hcmnameueh_900x.jpg

Probably teaching granny to suck eggs but worth mentioning just in case; if you've used scissors to cut the line instead of the 'proper' tool, then you need to push something with a slight taper up it to ensure the end has not crimped. It might look OK to the naked eye, but still be misshapen enough to not create a proper seal against the JG fitting. I have an electricians screwdriver with a rubber insulating sheath that is slightly tapered that works perfectly for this.

I exclusively (apart from about 200ml between regulator and non-return valve) use 3/16 line for gas as it is much more flexible. It does require a fair few 3/8 stem to 3/16 John Guest connectors, but worth it in my opinion.
For a barbed 3/8 connection, I'd suggest either replacing the barbs with JG fittings, or at the very least using a clamp on the hose.

Same as @AnimatedGIF above, I step down to 3/16" line where I need the flexibility.

Real JG fittings are normally pretty tolerant of being abused, I've found the kegland 'duotight' fittings a bit less tolerant, although I'll take it for the price difference when buying from Ali Express.

I exclusively (apart from about 200ml between regulator and non-return valve) use 3/16 line for gas as it is much more flexible. It does require a fair few 3/8 stem to 3/16 John Guest connectors, but worth it in my opinion.
For a barbed 3/8 connection, I'd suggest either replacing the barbs with JG fittings, or at the very least using a clamp on the hose.
That's a good bit of lateral thinking. I like that Idea. I'm still getting a manifold with check valves but will distribute with 3/16 pipe.

Latest posts

Back