Leaking keg!! How can I save the beer??..... Advice please!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_593

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I kegged my beer last night (first time brewing!). This afternoon I have noticed a substantial leak from the tap and I'm losing a fair amount of beer.

I'm getting the keg replaced, but is there a way to save the beer I already have in there?

Is it possible to syphon the beer out into the new keg when it arrives, and all will be okay?

Thanks a lot!!

Nick

best bet is to hold an impromptu party quickly and get it supped....

If it's a fermenter you are talking about, you would probably be just fine with transferring the wort / beer to another fermenter when it arrives. Just remember to sanitize properly!

When my KK went tonto with my stout in I bottled and reprimed it and it was fine.
That was after several days being under pressure/un pressurised.
I would imagine re kegging is a possibility, make sure (if you can) you treat it to some CO2 to keep the oxygen off a bit.

Rukula said:
If it's a fermenter you are talking about, you would probably be just fine with transferring the wort / beer to another fermenter when it arrives. Just remember to sanitize properly!

Thanks for the reply. The beer was transfered from the fermenter to the keg yesterday, so its in the keg now.

Will I be able to syphon it from the tap to the new keg?

thanks!

Nick_593 said:
Rukula said:

Thanks for the reply. The beer was transfered from the fermenter to the keg yesterday, so its in the keg now.

Will I be able to syphon it from the tap to the new keg?

thanks!
I just siphoned out of the lid. :thumb:

It would be better to syphon the beer rather than just opening the tap. Getting air into the beer at this stage can create off flavours so try and do it without too much splashing.

What I've done in the past is to gently lay the keg onto its' back so the tap is above the level of beer, let the pressure out then unscrew the tap and change it. If it's leaking from the thread, a couple of layers of cling film or PTFE tape might help seal it.

After that, prime it again and leave it in the warm or add a squirt of CO2 to repressurise.

Back