Learning homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmySessions

Reaction score
Hi all, very new to the world of home brewing but currently have my first brew fermenting away (despite the frosty temperatures). Stumbled onto this forum after trying to find some help with how to bottle without a tap, but looking forward to browsing through all the threads and learning more!

Welcome to the forum!

I will second the idea of the filling wand.. makes like much easier.

I use the basic tap at the end of the syphon but have also fitted an extra bit of pipe as I use 2L plastic bottles so it holds it in the bottle nicely allowing me time to get the next bottle ready, put the tops on previous ones.

Agree with what OB has said, get syphon tubing with tap and bottling wand. I would also recommend a rigid tube with a sediment trap to immerse in your bucket and a clip to hole the tube in place on the rim of the bucket whilst bottling. All available from ebay, amazon, wilko, the range or online HB shops.

Finally as you wouldn't want to contaminate the sanitised tubing, cut a short section (4-6") off the flexible tubing and connect this temporarily on the outlet of the little tap, suck on this to start the syphon, close tap when the beer nearly reaches it, replace short piece of tubing with the bottling wand and start filling bottles.

Welcome J

You can syphon - and fit a little tap to the end of your syphon line e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18445983...7779&msclkid=2904f8a75eb31f8fac0598850e1a4165
What are you brewing?

This is the kit that i've bought (Balliihoo Basic Homebrew Starter Kit With 40 Pint Pilsner Lager & 1Kg Brewing Sugar) which comes with a syphon tube and racking cane, but wasn't sure how it actually works.

I'm currently just brewing a pilsner lager, bit concerned about the FV as it was sitting between 16-18 degrees for a bit but hopefully it should come out ok

This is the kit that i've bought (Balliihoo Basic Homebrew Starter Kit With 40 Pint Pilsner Lager & 1Kg Brewing Sugar) which comes with a syphon tube and racking cane, but wasn't sure how it actually works.

I'm currently just brewing a pilsner lager, bit concerned about the FV as it was sitting between 16-18 degrees for a bit but hopefully it should come out ok
bit concerned about the FV as it was sitting between 16-18 degrees for a bit
It all depends on the strain of yeast - for some yeasts that would be fine, others too cold and others too warm

It all depends on what the instructions said

Back