Leaving a wort overnight to cool

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there any issues with doing this? I don't have a wort chiller and the extract brew I am going to do uses 10L for a boil, thus the temp is fairly high even when watered down to 23L.

My idea is to do everything tonight ready for pitching tomorrow. Are there any drawbacks with holding back the pitching by 12-24 hours? I'll be sure to have everything sanitised as normal and I'll have it under airlock etc.

Thanks

Should be no problem with this providing you sanitised properly. Some people leave the FV in a bath of cold water overnight then pitch in the morning :thumb:

I did that for years before I got my CFC and never had any problems. Just be thorough with you sterilisation as the beer is most at risk at this stage.

I 'cube' all of my beers like a lot of the Aussies do (also called no-chill and slow-chill). I transfer the wort straight from the boil into a, cleaned and sanitised, food grade HDPE plastic 'jerry can' type container, squeeze the sides until minimal headspace exists and put the airtight cap on. Swish the wort around to sanitise the container and leave to cool.

It cools overnight with the break material settling to the bottom.

I've not notices any downsides doing this, although you get more bitterness from your hops because they the oils have more time to isomerise because they're in the hot wort for longer. It's better for single hopped beers that don't rely on late hopping (you lose a bit of aroma from flame out hops but can cube hop and dry hop to compensate).

I've just fermented an all pale malt beer that I cubed and there doesn't appear to be any off flavours or clarity issues.

I've also got a stout in a cube that I brewed 2 weeks ago. I plan to leave it in the cube and ferment it when I get a corny free!

I also brew in a bag in 1 vessel so without the time for sparging and cooling it makes for a quick brew day.

Stuart

Back