Leeds or Norwich.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First up, I wish to apologize in advance if this post upsets members in the east.

Having postponed our hols to valkenswaard til September we are looking to take a UK break with a beer theme.

We have been double jabbed for 3 weeks and keep our contacts to a minimum. We plan to visit TUE/WED when its quieter as well.

The plan is to either go to leeds and visit northern monk & vocation tap room or go east to Norwich and visit the drunken monk with a stop in beers of europe on the way home.

covid19 cases are very high in leeds atm compared to where I live in wales which is in parity with Norwich.

Mrs DOJ hasn't been to Leeds (I spent 5 days on an exchange course there and loved it) whereas we've been to Norwich and we love it too.

What are your thoughts peeps?

Leeds for me so many craft style and old pubs. I have not been since the virus but hopefully will be fully open for you soon.
One to try Whitelocks in the city centre down a ginnel with seats/benches outside and wall heaters to keep you cosy and a nice turn over of different beers
Northern Monk brewery is really good too

Leeds for me so many craft style and old pubs. I have not been since the virus but hopefully will be fully open for you soon.
One to try Whitelocks in the city centre down a ginnel with seats/benches outside and wall heaters to keep you cosy and a nice turn over of different beers
Northern Monk brewery is really good too
I think I spent an evening there, awesome vibe athumb.. I don't think they had many stronger beers. At my age I can't drink 5 pints , I go for less but stonger to save me staying up all night peeing wink...

Found this at a car boot;)
I know its empty but it will be full tonight
20210625_172614.jpg

That's a great idea! Brew York and Madness are my go to there...not tried Pivni as I was too hammered to find it!
York is a great drinkers destination...I can't wait to go back...many blurred memories!

The only time I've ever been to Norwich was to the prison. Just visiting! :laugh8:

And I've had some great nights in Leeds, but that must be 40 years ago!

I went to uni in Leeds and ended up living there for ten years after. I still have friends there and visit frequently. It’s a wonderful, amazing city but… I’d go to Norwich because I’ve never been!

I'd go Leeds every time. Norwich is nice, but not even close to Leeds when it comes to beer choice or just general atmosphere.

I usually stop off at Beers of Europe when I pass by, and I believe it is the biggest beer shop in Europe. It's huge but the selection is, for me, excruciatingly boring. Aisle after aisle of British ales and continental lagers, a few good Belgians, but no decent IPAs or imperial stouts or interesting sours. I often leave empty handed because I can't be bothered to wade through looking for something exciting. If you want to explore traditional styles, it's a treasure trove. Not for me though.

I'd go Leeds every time. Norwich is nice, but not even close to Leeds when it comes to beer choice or just general atmosphere.

I usually stop off at Beers of Europe when I pass by, and I believe it is the biggest beer shop in Europe. It's huge but the selection is, for me, excruciatingly boring. Aisle after aisle of British ales and continental lagers, a few good Belgians, but no decent IPAs or imperial stouts or interesting sours. I often leave empty handed because I can't be bothered to wade through looking for something exciting. If you want to explore traditional styles, it's a treasure trove. Not for me though.
Cheers IainM. hmm, I used to order on-line from BoE until I discovered vanuxeem. But that's September if europe lets us in. So unless there are restrictive local measures in place in Leeds its going to be Leeds. Given there's a great bottle shop locally now with a small but good belgian range ( I had a duchess de borgogne from there) I'll get my Holiday beers there and try an grab some takeaway whilst in Leeds.

@Norfolk79 - Great Shout about the festival athumb..

Me and the Missus really do love a days drinking in Leeds so many good pubs in the centre, I have missed it during the virus but hopefully soonasad1asad1asad1

If you go Leeds the city centre it has some great craft pubs, Northern monk, North brew Co, vocation, thornbridge (the bankers cat), brew dog and brew york recently opened a new bar. Some good traditional pubs as well.

Keep meaning to do a pub crawl but don't think I'd finish it...

I'd go to Leeds and make a trip to the vocation tap room at hebden bridge and then go visit brew york in york too.

TBH, if you wanted a beer tour but wanted to limit yourself to a single city, I would go to Manchester.

If you were keen to check out Northern Monk and Vocation, they both have outlets serving their full range in Manchester (see the Northern Monk Refectory in Manc as well as the Vocation bar in Society). You can then add to that list: Cloudwater, ABC, Blackjack, Marble, Seven Brothers, Runaway, Squawk, Beer Nouveau, Pomona, Track and Beatnikz Republic (and some of the finest historic pubs).

PS - Vocation is based near Halifax and Hebden Bridge and is as close to Manchester as it is to Leeds

Back