Lemon Juice in Elderberry Wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmac1991

Reaction score
I'm completely new to winemaking - I started my first batch (ginger wine) about a week ago and it seems to be going well.

I also plan to make elderberry wine, and my freezer is full of elderberries ready to make it. I have seen many recipes for elderberry wine, some of which call for lemon juice (usually 1 lemon per gallon) and some of which don't. I understand that this is to adjust the acidity of the wine, but is it needed for elderberry wine or not?

Also, at what stage should I add the pectic enzyme?

Thanks for your help
Calum

Elderberries are fairly low in acid, hence the lemon. Check the other recipes, they might still call for a teaspoonful of citric acid.

Add pectic enzyme right from the start. If it's an “add boiling water” recipe, wait until the temperature's below 30°C before adding the pectolase.

Cold tap water would be fine, and your recipe calls for 5 days on the pulp before you strain to demijohn.

The recipe I've got has similar quantities, does call for 1 tsp citric acid (equivalent to juice of a lemon), pour on boiling water, leave for 3 days before straining.

Either way should work just as well.

Thanks again Moley!

Does it make any significant difference whether the water is cold or boiling when it is added? And will campden tablets kill the yeast if I add it too soon?

No, there are hot extraction methods and there are cold extraction methods, use whichever recipe appeals to you. I suppose there may be subtle differences in the finished product, but it's really just different routes to the same place. Try both, and this time next year tell us which tasted best.

You must leave it for at least 24 hours after adding a Campden tablet before pitching the yeast.

Back