Lentil Sugar wash ~13%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrig

Banned
Reaction score
I'm breaking this out of another thread slightly rather than cluttering it:

Moley said:
Ingredients;
21lt water
5.5kg Sugar
400g Red Lentils.
50g Allinsons Bread Yeast

Method;
Put the Red Lentils into a bowl and add 2lt boiling water then leave to soak for 30 mins while getting the rest of the wash ready.

Heat the balance of the water to 35°C then add to the fermenter along with the sugar. Stir until all sugar is dissolved.

Once the Lentils have had a good soak for 30 minutes, give them a good stir and add the lot to the fermenter.

If you've got any method of pH testing, aim for approx 5.2 and adjust with Citric Acid if necessary.

Aerate the wash with a stick blender or your usual method.

Temp should be 30°C, then pitch 50g of dry bread yeast or a 1lt yeast starter if available.

Check SG and use the temperature correction calculator you can find at the left of the forum banner.

Keep the ferment at 30°C throughout and it should finish in 6 days. If left for a further 3 days in a cold location it will almost clear enough to run without any help.

I've just done one of these and at 28°C it went from 1.092 to 0.988 in about 8 days. It's clearing rapidly without finings and tastes of nothing in particular.

I've done a gallon as a little test as follows:

1.1kg sugar
100g lentles
water to the shoulder ( still had a bit of a blow out through the tube when i topped up)
1 Packet of fast acting baking yeast, asda or tesco brand

In a water bath held at 30'c.

In a week its fermented down to 0990, starting gravity would have been around 1090. Which gives me about 13.5% abv, I was able to drink the entire cloudy trial jar without any problem so taste is not an issue as a mixer.

Its still fermenting slowly so in a couple of days i'll stick the DJ in the fridge and hope for it to clear.

I have seen some sugar free energy drink concentrates in tesco, advertised as squeeze shot's or something, probably with some preservatives but i'll be trying a couple of bottles with some priming sugar.

Also got some blackberries in the freezer and some whiskey barrel chunks. Lots to play with... not so much booze to do it with. May need to pitch this yeast as a big starter in 30L :lol:

Would this work with wine yeast? If so how much would you recommend?

Also how much (grammes?) are in a packet of the baking yeast?

I'm interested in how this turns out.

A sugar wash is a new one for me, so im unsure how wine yeast will work. There may be a reason why bread yeast is used.. But its worth a try with some wine yeast if you have it in.

Yeast was only a 7g packet. So about a teaspoon full.

Its currently a very pale yellow in colour as the yeast drops out.. And the sample jar was easily swigged :whistle: .

With the lentils I would expect it should work with a wine yeast, but I haven't tried it.

If you try to ferment just a sugar wash with wine yeasts that does not work, but this has been discussed elsewhere and somebody googled what nutrients and minerals the lentils supplied, and it certainly does seem to turn them on.

I think there's 125g of dried yeast in the Allinson's tins, I've used the yellow tin which costs around 70p.

Yes, that's the stuff, and there's also a green tin which costs more, does exactly the same job but may get started a little bit quicker.

Over due a couple of pictures: DJ at the end of fermenting:

(old rosie yeast started next to it for another purpose)

And i've racked off a single bottle and added priming sugar. I don't really expect it to carbonate but worth a try, may be useful with mixer... but i really should have split it in to two bottles and added water... to mix with a coke / gingerbeer concentrate. along the lines of soda stream stuff.

I may do this with the rest of the stuff, or some of it. Drinkable neat and fairly clear,

does it clear fully, or has it always got that yellow colour to it?

In bulk it retains that twinge, but it does clear more than that.

The bottles which are roughly 7% and carbonating drop very clear

Latest posts

Back