Lets talk about LABELS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuff76

Reaction score
Hello
I seem to have been going round and around in circles with this, and I wondered if anyone could offer a solution.
I want to label some of my brews. I want them to look decent, not amateurish and I want them to be reasonably priced.
Grogtag appears to be the only acceptable solution I can find online, it’s expensive but I think the postage costs to the uk($20 for the labels then $50 for postage) make it non-viable.
So I’m left with printing them myself - More than happy to do this, we’ve got a decent printer(inkjet) and I am quite creative should be able to knock up a decent design.
But what would I print them on? Chilled bottles get damp - ink running, labels coming off, labels absorbing the water and becoming mush are all not acceptable.
I am completely flummoxed, so far I have written on the bottles with liquid chalk markers but was hoping for something a bit better when giving bottles to friends/family.
Ideal item - something I can print myself, moisture resistant, can remove from the bottle afterwards without too much stress. Does that even exist

I've always found normal printer paper, stuck to the bottle using a bit of milk, works ok - Never had a problem with running ink, but my bottles didn't get especially wet. If you stick them on with milk, they also come off pretty easily!

I've always found normal printer paper, stuck to the bottle using a bit of milk, works ok - Never had a problem with running ink, but my bottles didn't get especially wet. If you stick them on with milk, they also come off pretty easily!

I've read this before but imagine it could only work on stuff that isn't refridgerated? My bottles are always chilled and always covered in a film of condensation. I just can't see how normal paper would withstand this and not just break apart/come off. But please correct me if I'm wrong

I'm just looking at bottle labels on amazon like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UC51PCA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 which I think might work, but as they are self adhesive stickers wont be coming off easily(possibly the lesser evil, I'll just need to replenish the bottles)

Last edited by a moderator:
i used these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000P5SJOE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

they peel off very easy. If they get wet the ink in inkjet printers can run a little, but not usually too bad. I have switched to using a laser printer now, doesn't run, I don't think.

others I know use small circular labels that go on the cap! so that's maybe an idea. doesn't look as good though.

i used these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000P5SJOE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

they peel off very easy. If they get wet the ink in inkjet printers can run a little, but not usually too bad. I have switched to using a laser printer now, doesn't run, I don't think.

others I know use small circular labels that go on the cap! so that's maybe an idea. doesn't look as good though.

Nice one Toffee - its the smudginess that I am worried about, awesome that they are removable though. I wonder if this dream product I'm thinking of exists anywhere.
Yes I did consider the cap labels, but just feel I need something a bit more! That would be good for quick ID and I need to do something soon or I'll have different types all mixed together

I asked a similar question on another forum. I will have a look for it. Loads of great suggests on it
Yes please Leon, the more the better - We need to get to the bottom of this !!! :thumb:

You can get glossy self adhesive A4 inkjet paper. Seems to work fine if the bottles are dry when applied (prior to chilling) but is a bit more work to clean off after use.
Or thinner (130gsm) glossy paper and stick on with PritStick. a bit more messy to apply but cleans off easier. again bottles need to be dry when applying.

The above do give a glossy finish which may not suit your design.

cheers - yeah I thought glossy might end up being the case, in my mind a bit more waterproof? Do you reckon the thinner ones would stick with milk? If so, we might have stumbled upon the perfect solution? Low cost, easy to print, and if its water resistant.. tres magnifique

I came across a similar thread last year. Best method seemed to be thick glossy inkjet paper, stuck on with Prit Stick and then... to make it survive fridge condensation... a quick spray with a sealing lacquer such as this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006XBT39Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Never tried it but I do know what you mean about fridges destroying the labels...

Nice one Toffee - its the smudginess that I am worried about, awesome that they are removable though. I wonder if this dream product I'm thinking of exists anywhere.
Yes I did consider the cap labels, but just feel I need something a bit more! That would be good for quick ID and I need to do something soon or I'll have different types all mixed together

Yes please Leon, the more the better - We need to get to the bottom of this !!! :thumb:
Here we go

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71697

I've splashed out on grogtag a few times.

The annoying think is postage to UK is extortionate.

They are very good quality labels, already have a slightly plastic sheen so don't run and re-usable, just peel straight off once you've drunk the bottle, no mess no fuss - and I've got some one their 5th bottle still going strong.

So if say worth the investment if you regularly label the same beer, not worth it for small batches.

Example of some of my grogtag labels

image.jpg

Blimey this is the spookiest thread Ive seen. Since its hammering down outside, I was thinking about some sort of labelling and found this...basic but free.. (I LIKE FREE)

https://www.beerlabelizer.com

To be fair they are not bad and I suspect clever people could copy their image to the desktop and then do some fancy editing..thats for another day.
Anyway, I printed some off and cut one out and used a pastry brush and some milk and BINGO! ...nice little label that will come off easily

Cheers Robin, saves me fannying around ad nauseum with Inkscape
Ive just been through their whole range, and its a really excellent programme with plenty of variation and you can add you're own images, and as said...totally free..unless u wish to add you're own images which cost $5 for life......bit of a bargain

Ive just been through their whole range, and its a really excellent programme with plenty of variation and you can add you're own images, and as said...totally free..unless u wish to add you're own images which cost $5 for life......bit of a bargain

tbh I'd be tempted at paying the $5 and have done with it, free reign and save/print as you like

Back