Light Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PVE

Reaction score
Hello

Considering the Guidelines of National Guild, I found the Style Light Ale. But if we consider the styles given by CAMRA or BJCP, Light Ale does'nt exist.

Is this style in Britain still living ?
Is there any commercial Light Ale or is it extinct ?
Does any home brewer produce this kind of Beer ?

Patrick

The style Blonde Ale is described in BJCP guidelines as having an OG 1.038-1.054
It is an american style that can enclose british Summer Ale.

According to NGWBJ, Light Ale is far weaker with an OG 1.030-1.035. I can remember having tried Light Ale on a beautiful summer day in London many years ago : wonderful thirst quenching ale !

I'm afraid those two styles are distinct !

Courage still do a Light Ale in tiny 275ml bottles. Wether its within the guide lines you refer to I'm not sure. Used to drink light and bitter many years ago. 1\2 pint of draught bitter in a pint glass topped up with a bottle of light ale. If you were lucky the bitter would always come above the half pint line so you got more for your money :drink:

It seems to be the Light Ale I expected. I will try to come across some samples.

I wrote about the guidelines because they are a good means to speak of a particular beer.
But in fact, I drink beer rather than Guidelines ;)

Back