Liquid yeast - taken the plunge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also just about to start using liquid yeast...wlp002 and 028 arrived today and I was also surprised that the wlp002 was in a soft pack... both in the fridge now before I get round to growing up a batch and splitting for multiple brews.

I've got some wyeast 1318 London ale iii.
Goimg to use it in a boddingtons clone this weekend (probably not appropriate but hey) but reading all this makes me seriously tempted to try and reuse it in my landlord clone too. I'll keep some slurry and make up a starter the day before making the landlord. Feels like the next logical step in upping my brewing skills.

Wlp002 and wlp028 sounds like a good couple to have in stock. OO2 lower attenuation and fruitier, 028 a bit more attenuative and cleaner tasting.

I came across this method of yeast harvesting which I liked the look of http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/.

Basically when you want to brew you make a slightly larger starter than normal based on a yeast calculator. Then harvest and save some of the starter. This means you avoid having a fridge full of identical vials of yeast and they are refreshed regularly rather than waiting for months before being used.

They've gone to 13 generations without noticing any change on characteristics.

I came across this method of yeast harvesting which I liked the look of http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/.

Basically when you want to brew you make a slightly larger starter than normal based on a yeast calculator. Then harvest and save some of the starter. This means you avoid having a fridge full of identical vials of yeast and they are refreshed regularly rather than waiting for months before being used.

They've gone to 13 generations without noticing any change on characteristics.

This 'overbuilding' method is what I've recently started to use. I haven't gone to 13 generations though

This looks great and is definetly tempting me into trying out a liquid yeast!!

What yeast would you guys suggest i go for?

I mainly brew American Pales and English Pales. American pales I have always tended to us us-05, and English Pales I have tended to use Nottingham.

Ideally I'd just like to use one yeast, so what would work best for those styles of beers?

Cheers!

I'm only using liquid yeast to add a little more to my more crystal malt-heavy brews. I'm not sure why I bought the WLP001 as I am told it's the same strain as US-05, which I have made some great beers with. I will grow it like I have the WLP002 though just to see for my self if there is any difference. It sounds to me like you're using the right [dried] yeast for your regular brews.

This looks great and is definetly tempting me into trying out a liquid yeast!!

What yeast would you guys suggest i go for?

I mainly brew American Pales and English Pales. American pales I have always tended to us us-05, and English Pales I have tended to use Nottingham.

Ideally I'd just like to use one yeast, so what would work best for those styles of beers?

Cheers!

US-05 and notty are quite similar (both clean flavoured and high attenuating the two main differences are notty is much more flocctuant and US-05 has a much higher temp tolerance) so you might as well use one for or 'tother for both.

American Ales and English ales are almost polar opposites when it comes to esters (the fruity flavours yeast can produce). 'Normally' American ales require a clean non-eastery yeast to let the hop flavour shine through whereas English pales (in particular bitters) have loads of ester flavour/character.

If you have temp control (a brew fridge) you could use a relatively clean English strain (something like WLP007) and ferement at the lowest end of the yeasts temp range for American ales, so you get a clean flavour. Then for English Ales ferment at the top end of the temp range (or even 1C or 2C above) so you get loads of esters

My mate reckons WLP001 is better than US05.

I have just ordered 3 liquid yeasts. Wyeast 1728 Scottish, Whitelabs WLP006 Bedford, and Brewlabs Somerset.

To add to the 4 starters I made today - Wyeast 1469, and three vials I got handed by a brewer a long time ago, labelled Fullers, Thwaites and Sussex.

I'm also going to have a go at culturing Marble, Holts and Young's yeast from bottles or pub casks.

I've entered my yeast phase. I'm on a mission. :geek: :whistle:

My mate reckons WLP001 is better than US05.

I have just ordered 3 liquid yeasts. Wyeast 1728 Scottish, Whitelabs WLP006 Bedford, and Brewlabs Somerset.

To add to the 4 starters I made today - Wyeast 1469, and three vials I got handed by a brewer a long time ago, labelled Fullers, Thwaites and Sussex.

I'm also going to have a go at culturing Marble, Holts and Young's yeast from bottles or pub casks.

I've entered my yeast phase. I'm on a mission. :geek: :whistle:

I can imagine WLP001 may be better than US-05 (even though there supposed to be the same strain) as from what I've read about it the way liquid yeast and dried yeast are grown, processed (and in the case of dried yeast of course dried) is entirely different?

You are on a mission arn't you :lol:

I can imagine WLP001 may be better than US-05 (even though there supposed to be the same strain) as from what I've read about it the way liquid yeast and dried yeast are grown, processed (and in the case of dried yeast of course dried) is entirely different?

You are on a mission arn't you :lol:

Mission Improbable. :thumb:

Right. I'm making a starter later on today. I'm wondering, now the yeast in the bottles has really settled out, if there's enough yeast at the bottom. I've taken two out of the fridge just in case there isn't.

And the best side...

Dave

Adding twice what you might need is a lot better than adding half what you might need. I'd pour off the spent starter worts and replace them with fresh beer wort later. Give them a good shake to thoroughly declump/resuspend the yeast and pitch. Sit back and enjoy the show...

Adding twice what you might need is a lot better than adding half what you might need. I'd pour off the spent starter worts and replace them with fresh beer wort later. Give them a good shake to thoroughly declump/resuspend the yeast and pitch. Sit back and enjoy the show...

Cheers mate, that was the plan today; boil and cool a little DME and pitch the sediment into it. After a couple of days I'll make a brew and pitch.

Okie dokey. Made a 700ml starter with 70g of DME. Used two of my bottles in the end. See how it goes in a couple of days...

Going well I think. Just shy of 24hrs in. No huge krausen or anything but I'm quite happy with the amount of solids gathering at the bottom. Tempted to just leave it and not stir until it's time to pitch tomorrow.

Great stuff! I was getting more confident when I saw the solids gathering at the bottom. Do you pour the lot in a 23L batch? I thought I might be best tipping some of the liquid away.

Depends when you're planning to brew. There should be lots of healthy yeast in suspension. You could chill to get them to collect at the bottom (and store) then pour the spent starter wort and resuspend in fresh wort prior to pitching. Alternatively, shake and pitch as is, if you don't have time to chill or the need to store. Both methods work fine.

Latest posts

Back