Liquid yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys, earlier today I took out my Wyeast from my fridge and placed it in my fermentation fridge at just below 20C. My intention was to brew later today. Due to other circs I may postpone today and brew tomorrow.

My question is, will the fact that the yeast has been sitting at nearly 20C for over 24 hours cause it to become unusable?

Many thanks in advance

Daf

It'll be absolutely fine. Yeast packs spend days in filthy, sweat delivery vans.

Even if it was a smackpack that got smacked you can just put it in the fridge and use it the next day.

You've got zero to worry about.

It'll be absolutely fine. Yeast packs spend days in filthy, sweat delivery vans.

Even if it was a smackpack that got smacked you can just put it in the fridge and use it the next day.

You've got zero to worry about.

Cheers mate. Would you leave it where it is at 20C (which I'm thinking would be best) or move it back to the cold fridge at approx 6C

Cheers mate. Would you leave it where it is at 20C (which I'm thinking would be best) or move it back to the cold fridge at approx 6C
Leave it because tomorrow it'll be nearer the temperature of what you're pitching it into, and yeast like that

EDIT: just been reading about thermal shock in yeast and cold yeast going into warmer wort isn't a problem, but yeast can go dormant if it's warm and thrown into wort 10 degrees colder. OOooh.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, pitched the yeast yesterday evening and is chugging away nicely this morning. :grin:

Latest posts

Back