Little worried!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsW2012

Reaction score
We started a brew (our first ever one!) on Saturday and the lid of the fermentation bucket is now rounded quite a bit rather than being flat. We are due to check gravity on Weds but Im a little worried about the pressure thats building up in the bucket. Do I need to take the lid off or leave it?

MrsW2012 said:
We started a brew (our first ever one!) on Saturday and the lid of the fermentation bucket is now rounded quite a bit rather than being flat. We are due to check gravity on Weds but Im a little worried about the pressure thats building up in the bucket. Do I need to take the lid off or leave it?
Thats happened to me too, i just pressed down on the lid with both hands and the gas escaped.
I assume if i had a valve thingy on the lid it would esape through the water in it and not cause the lid to dome, but i haven't :thumb:

Thanks. Just don't want it to explode, or to ruin it either! We are brewing Wilkos Happy Copper Bitter :cheers:

Just crack it open a touch. Most don't seal that well, if you have one that does you can undo it slightly which should break the seal but still keep anything from getting in :thumb:

Should really have a lid with an airlock! The co2 can escape through the water or vodka if prefered

MrsW2012 said:
Thanks. Just don't want it to explode, or to ruin it either! We are brewing Wilkos Happy Copper Bitter :cheers:
Im on my second kit, i made a bit of a pigs ear of the first (Coopers Draught) but it will be drinkable if a little understrengh and will probably lack body, novice errors.
My second i started yesterday, a Wilko Cerveza kit, had no snags............................................yet!!!
:cheers:

During the first bout of fermentation there is a lot of CO2 gas generated which needs to escape. Some folk leave lids off the fermentation vessel altogether - i.e. an open vessel ( :shock: - but there is less danger of infection when the yeast head is established and bubbling away, as long as foreign bodies aren't flying or dropping in), some cover loosely with the lid or just a clean cloth, others drill a small hole to suit an airlock or a cotton wool bung. I've used a cotton wool bung and also loose cloth. I'd just prise the lid open very gently.

dagovenor said:
Should really have a lid with an airlock! The co2 can escape through the water or vodka if prefered

Not really needed for beer - yes for wine / cider but beer doesn't need one.. although some people do like to hear them going

Hawks said:
dagovenor said:

Not really needed for beer - yes for wine / cider but beer doesn't need one.. although some people do like to hear them going
Im going to make some turbo cider for summer, will i need an airlock for that?

fbsf said:
I'd say so - fruit flies find the smell of fermenting apple juice irresistable. Get one in there and you have a large amount of cider vinegar.
I have a lid on the bucket, that quite good at keeping the flies out. :thumb:
Does the cider create more gas than beer/lager?

Kinleycat said:
fbsf said:
I'd say so - fruit flies find the smell of fermenting apple juice irresistable. Get one in there and you have a large amount of cider vinegar.
I have a lid on the bucket, that quite good at keeping the flies out. :thumb:
Does the cider create more gas than beer/lager?

Just drill a hole in the lid of your bucket (i found it better off centre - say at 3o'clock, so if you are carrying the bucket, you don't keep whacking it with the handle as it comes to centre - naturally), and fit one of these grommets and an airlock - available from the forum sponsor - "the malt miller" http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=368

Also, drill a hole near the bottom, and fit one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Plastic ... 3f20cfb15f

No more syphoning, and you can then use hozelock fittings, which are great and cheap from B&Q at £1 ea.

:grin:

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I will just lift the lid slight on one side to allow the air to escape.

Back