Liver ward anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstout

Landlord.
Reaction score
Spoke to a rep at work last week whose Mrs works on the liver ward at his local hospital. I mentioned I was homebrewing and he was urging caution. He reckoned the largest majority of his wifes patients were homebrewers :( :( :( :roll:

:hmm:

I only drink one bottle of wine a week and 6 bottles of beer, probably close to the goverments guidelines.

i drink less now i work in the industry than i did years ago

having 4 noisy kids also helps keep the cosumption down as its hell in the morning with a fuzzy head....... :D

I'm drinking far too much, too strong, too often.....to be honest. Had a bender on Sat night til 4 am with a mate who does wine. We were on my 6% that is made with some sugar too....head was minging..only just recovering now. I'm going to have some time off and brew some 4% stuff. Don't want to leave it til too late, doing some exercise too now. Stoppings nowhere near as easy as starting! I was smoking too which seems to make it even worse.

Thanks for the warning, the assumption is always the alkies are vodka/spesh/strong lager drinking nutjobs. I think i'll cut the spirits out all together. And the fags/roll ups etc. Not the ale....just rest a bit.

Some of our regular customers that come in the pub who have started home brew now only because its cheaper. He said that he can drink 4 times as much now he homebrews.... I havnt tasted one of his beers but I doubt there is anything craft or skilled about it..... :shock: .

Its a cheap way to get smashed if your on a budget and NEED to drink... :cry:

micmacmoc said:
I'm drinking far too much, too strong, too often.....to be honest. Had a bender on Sat night til 4 am with a mate who does wine. We were on my 6% that is made with some sugar too....head was minging..only just recovering now. I'm going to have some time off and brew some 4% stuff. Don't want to leave it til too late, doing some exercise too now. Stoppings nowhere near as easy as starting! I was smoking too which seems to make it even worse.

Thanks for the warning, the assumption is always the alkies are vodka/spesh/strong lager drinking nutjobs. I think i'll cut the spirits out all together. And the fags/roll ups etc. Not the ale....just rest a bit.
Are you a Keith Richards clone? :eek:

God I'm not THAT bad....just like Shane MacGowan so far!

:drink:

I would presume these particular homebrewers are ones that are more the turbo cider types that make tramp juice in and out of the FV in a couple of days, then in a glass immediately.

At least, I'd hope that was the case anyway.

The Goatreich said:
I would presume these particular homebrewers are ones that are more the turbo cider types that make tramp juice in and out of the FV in a couple of days, then in a glass immediately.

Aye TG, I hoped the same..... :pray:

:lol:

I'd say maybe not tbh TG. When I got really into home brew about 4 years ago I was making good beer and drinking it like it was going out of fashion. I never really got phished so to speak, but drank far more than I should, +4 pints a night...every night, and I know a lot of home brewers who've done/are doing the same.
IMO any problem lies in when it becomes an addiction, as long as you can say it's not and prove it yourself, and your liver agrees, you're on the right side of the fence :grin: (questions use of smiley in such a serious situation :roll: )
As previously said, moderation is the key :cool:

i sincerely hope not, he's still alive. I'd mash 'em anyhow. 'smoked moc's dad stout'.....ok i may be on me ale again. :eek:

Funny, since I started brewing my own I actually drink less, because I'm not drinking wine or spirits (occasional glass of Lagavulin instead of a pint though) :!:

Spread over the week I'll have the odd pint on a weekday night, but not every night :!: and saturday/sunday 3 or 4 each day :idea: maybe 10 pints per week or 12 max :idea:

micmacmoc said:
i sincerely hope not, he's still alive. I'd mash 'em anyhow. 'smoked moc's dad stout'.....ok i may be on me ale again. :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumb:

I think I drink less now I home brew! I had read quite a few post on forum about the reason why people gave up home brewing was drinking too much. When I started I decide that I would only drink at weekends.

before i was getting the supermarket 3 pack deals filling the fridge and have cold beer most nights like drinking pop.

Now I drink far less but much better beers than the canned **** in the supermarket and enjoy the taste now.

Back