Local Elections 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in the south and working in the north gives me an insight into what a United ireland would look like and I’m not convinced it would be achievable due to the disparity between the 2. So much would have to change on both sides and the north would be moving back in time to be equal with the south. This applies to most things we take for granted in the north most prominent would be the national health service but is goes right down to education and even bin collections where we have to pay every week to get them emptied.
I don’t think it will be realised in my lifetime to be honest no matter how much much my heart wants it.
You’re very right. I live in the north and spend 15% of my time working in the south. The unexpected downside of the Good Friday Agreement was, that reasons I have never been able to work out, ‘normal‘ people started voting for Sinn Fein/DUP. Those parties are different sides of the same bad penny, hate filled bigots with a vested interest in maintaining division in the north. I voted this year, there were 15 options on our card, I filled 1-9 leaving SF/DUP unnumbered.
Unfortunately, wee Jeffery with his super-injuction (for you guys on the mainland, the DUP wont acknowledge that dinosaurs existed, never mind LBGT rights) is the headline act in our district.
As far as the south goes, SF will be the majority party next time round. They’ve done a fantastic job of burying their past and rewriting a more palatable narrative of reality I grew up in.
Both lots are a bunch of c**ts and as bad as each other in my book.

You’re very right. I live in the north and spend 15% of my time working in the south. The unexpected downside of the Good Friday Agreement was, that reasons I have never been able to work out, ‘normal‘ people started voting for Sinn Fein/DUP. Those parties are different sides of the same bad penny, hate filled bigots with a vested interest in maintaining division in the north. I voted this year, there were 15 options on our card, I filled 1-9 leaving SF/DUP unnumbered.
Unfortunately, wee Jeffery with his super-injuction (for you guys on the mainland, the DUP wont acknowledge that dinosaurs existed, never mind LBGT rights) is the headline act in our district.
As far as the south goes, SF will be the majority party next time round. They’ve done a fantastic job of burying their past and rewriting a more palatable narrative of reality I grew up in.
Sammy is a super star 😂😂
My biggest fear is the outside world might actually think everyone from here is like him.

As far as the south goes, SF will be the majority party next time round.

I dont think that is likely.
The trend in Southern politics is for coalition governments.
Sinn Fein (if they manage to get into power in the Republic) would in all likelihood be part of a coaliton government.

However, nothing is guaranteed in politics (apart from Boris Johnson lying) Sinn Fein may never manage to get into government in the Republic.

However the reality is the south (current government for now) don’t want the north anymore than Britain does
Very true.
Some people in the Republic are as ignorant of the North as anybody on the mainland UK.

I just wonder how the infux of new people into Ireland (both North and South) will dilute attitudes.

My wife (French) can't get her head around Irish politics and despises Sinn Fein.

Both sides have bloody hands and both have ties to terrorists or have had in the past. The narrative needs to be rewritten in order to move forward and Sinn Fein were born out of the armed struggle coming to an end realising that the best way to achieve the end goal was through political means. It’s only by forgetting about the past we can move forward.
it’s northern Ireland no matter who is in power half the population will not like it.

1B841892-0C0C-4EC2-BE15-4AD03635DCC9.png

Their policy was basically to remain part of the union but for economic reasons not political. A place for “soft” unionists to sit. Opposed to a United ireland from the outset.

Where do soft nationalists sit? I think the alliance uniquely has the right idea of separating the daily running of Northern Ireland from its future status. These things can run parallel.

just like in England where sections of the community blamed the EU for everything that’s wrong, elements over here blame the English and imagine Ireland once reunited will be a land of unicorns!!

That said I think a United Ireland is inevitable at some stage but we need to take it out day to day politics as it distorts everything else and is a hand brake governing the country.

At the moment if you see yourself politically right of centre but a nationalist Who do you vote for? For unionists it’s a bit easier if they want to vote a bit left of centre as the alliance policy’s are moderately that way but there is no established centre left option for them.

Your looking towards the SDLP or one of the small party's like the green party. SDLP normally do well in Derry after the great work of John Hume. The choice is limited like you have pointed out.
Some people just can't identify with any party, you just have to look at the turn out for the election. I made the mistake of listening to the Nolan show this morning. My faith in humanity has dwindled 😂

Where do soft nationalists sit? I think the alliance uniquely has the right idea of separating the daily running of Northern Ireland from its future status. These things can run parallel.

just like in England where sections of the community blamed the EU for everything that’s wrong, elements over here blame the English and imagine Ireland once reunited will be a land of unicorns!!

That said I think a United Ireland is inevitable at some stage but we need to take it out day to day politics as it distorts everything else and is a hand brake governing the country.

At the moment if you see yourself politically right of centre but a nationalist Who do you vote for? For unionists it’s a bit easier if they want to vote a bit left of centre as the alliance policy’s are moderately that way but there is no established centre left option for them.
As Sam said traditionally sdlp take the soft vote or people before profit but the latter supported Brexit so lost ground on that. The Northern Ireland voting system was never designed to allow a nationalist party to take power and now that it has because huge divides in unionism split the vote a lot of the way forward in unclear. Unfortunately the dup still hold the cards on this one.
Sinn Fein could offer an olive branch and offer a joint first minister post and likewise the dup could enter as an opposition party both scenarios allowed under the good Friday agreement

I see the SDLP being the nationalist equivalent of the Ulster unionists with the later being the softer Union party.

By default by not proactively trying to change the status quo might make the Allience popular to soft unionists but they are as neutral on the subject as they can be I’d say.

I very much over simplify it for My English mates and I tend to explain the parties here ,if you took the sectarian element away being.
DUP- UKIP
UU- Tories
Alliance -lib dem
SDLP- labour
SF. Left of Corbyn.

When they ask why power sharing keeps stuttering I say imagine Rees Mog and Corbyn having to run England between them. Nuff said

I see the SDLP being the nationalist equivalent of the Ulster unionists with the later being the softer Union party.

By default by not proactively trying to change the status quo might make the Allience popular to soft unionists but they are as neutral on the subject as they can be I’d say.

I very much over simplify it for My English mates and I tend to explain the parties here ,if you took the sectarian element away being.
DUP- UKIP
UU- Tories
Alliance -lib dem
SDLP- labour
SF. Left of Corbyn.

When they ask why power sharing keeps stuttering I say imagine Rees Mog and Corbyn having to run England between them. Nuff said
Where does Jim McAllister and the TUV fall into that 🤔

Latest posts

Back