Long time in Secondary FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redsnapper

Reaction score
Hey there, just looking for advice on kit brew No47. It has been sitting in a secondary FV. since 11/11/22 with a towel over it and sealed fairly tightly so as to allow some gas to escape.It looks reasonably clear with some hop detritus on top and smells normal as if there was a good layer of beer /co2 built up.No nasty looking stuff at all.Considering just bottling it and seeing what happens.I presume bottle carbonation is unlikely now tho.It is safe to drink??
Anyone else tried this??

I presume bottle carbonation is unlikely now tho
It should still be fine to bottle carbonate. The yeast will go dormant, rather than die.
I've recultured yeast from bottles that have probably sat on a shelf longer than yours has been in the fermenter. It may take a little longer to start though. You could always put in a bit of fresh yeast into the secondary/bottling bucket to help it along.

It is safe to drink??
If it's been kept away from oxygen (hard to tell whether it's just a towel to protect it, or it's sealed) then it'll probably be OK. Give it a taste. If it tastes OK it'll be safe to drink. If not, then it may be destined for the u-bend.

It was snapped shut but maybe 95% I usually go round two or three times on a lid to make sure.I didn’t to let CO2 out as it was an active fermentation.Then a black towel.It’s semi-clear, smells nice, tastes like it’s been in there two weeks and it’s now 1.002.This happened before and I ditched it always regretted not just bottling it……

It was snapped shut but maybe 95% I usually go round two or three times on a lid to make sure.I didn’t to let CO2 out as it was an active fermentation.Then a black towel.It’s semi-clear, smells nice, tastes like it’s been in there two weeks and it’s now 1.002.This happened before and I ditched it always regretted not just bottling it……
Sounds like it's fine. Bottle it. If it doesn't taste nice out of the bottle, you can always ditch it then

It’s in bottles and I did some quality control testing …….hic …….was crystal clear from the centre of the batch…. It’s lost most of any hop flavours but should be fine I think…. I will update in a few weeks…… Cheers

34 to be exact

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back